PDA

View Full Version : 8-pin 12V power plug dilemma

492commish
12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I apologize for my long message here, but I'm kinda anal, and want to communicate the best I can.

First, my system:

>Antec Sonata III 500 Quiet Super Mid Tower ATX Case (Black)
>Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard
>Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz (quad-core) (using Intel CPU cooler)
>Crucial Ballistix 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800
>Using motherboard built-in video and audio
>128GB Crucial m4 SSD
>Western Digital RE4 1000GB 7200rpm SATA 3
>Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

I'm trying to hook up power cables to the M/B. The Antec documentation only states, "Connect the 24-pin Main Power Connector and the 4-in or 8-pin 12V connector to the motherboard as needed." I want to use the correct "8-pin" cable for the M/B socket labeled "ATX_12V_2X4" so that I don't fry anything!

The 24-pin power cable marked "P1" goes in fine.

I'm finding no actual 8-pin cable coming from the Antec 500W Earthwatts supply.

I do find a cable bundle tagged "8 pin (PCI) Express". It consists of a 6-pin separate cable marked "PCI-E" and a separate unlabeled 2-pin plug that is tabbed to "nest" with the 6-pin, making an 8-pin cable. Another 6-pin cable is daisy-chained to the "PCI-E" cable.

On the six pin "PCI-E" plug, there are 3 yellow wires connecting to the pins on one row, and 3 black wires on the other row. The wires on the two-pin plug are both black.

When the 6- and 2-pin plugs are side by side in the only way that seems to be correct, the individual pin shapes don't match the M/B's socket shapes, although the 6-in does plug in anyway. When the 6-pin is plugged into the "ATX_12V_2X4" M/B socket in the only way that seems correct, the 2-pin plug does not match the remaining socket spaces and will not mate.

There are two 4-pin power plugs from the supply that are both marked "P2" When side by side in either of the two possible ways, their pin profiles don't match those on the "ATX_12V_2X4" M/B socket. They do plug into the "ATX_12V_2X4" socket, but only one way. That seems to be a good thing.

Am I correct in thinking that the two "P2" plugs are the ones to use, plugging them in the only way they'll fit, even when the pin shapes aren't a match? (with latches on the correct side that actually latches)

zburns
12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I can look up your Gigabyte manual online and then view not only pics of the mobo but diagrams also. It will take me some time, but I will get back to you asap. It is the motherboard manual that matters.

RickyTick
12-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Are you looking at it like this.

zburns
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
The 6 pin plugs, one with an extra 2 pin plug are for video cards which you do not plan to use, so you will not use either of these plugs. These plugs are for 'video card extra power' over and above the PCI e female plugs on the motherboard. The sockets for these plugs are typically located at the top and to the rear of the video card (s).

The two 4 pin plugs are for the cpu power plug on the motherboard which you have already plugged them into. That motherboard female plug is the "ATX_12V_2X4" M/B socket, which you correctly point out, accepts the two 4 pin plugs. It is located to the left of the cpu motherboard socket and slightly higher. It is between the motherboard cpu socket and the vertical row of rear motherboard plugs that extend thru the rear of the case.

The Antec case and psu are very good products. Unfortunately they do not overwhelm you with 'instructions'!!

Good luck. Let us know that this works out ok for you.

-------------

I cannot get Ricky's picture to enlarge. As you already probably know, it is in your manual and the orientation of the image coincides with my description for the cpu socket above.

492commish
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
I used the two 4-pin power plugs, aligned in what seemed the only way that would work, and it worked! Got the m/b through the first boot OK, and then into the 2nd boot. I've got a few tweeks that I need to figure out, and I'll post those on a new thread. Thanks very much for the help! Things are looking pretty good! - Phil in Sherwood, Oregon

zburns
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi Phil,

Glad it all worked out well for you. I think your approach was good in that you were being extremely careful by double checking your moves. We went back and forth on things that were really straightforward and simple -- but that technique is warrantied. That is my opinion, but the reason the approach is valid is that 'you, the builder', want absolutely no chance of any kind of mistake -- be it simple or complex. The end result is a 'mistake free build' !!

Z