PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on 1st build

aj8690
08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone!

I am building my first computer and looking for a little advice. Here is a wish-list I put together on newegg.com, which contains all the parts I *think* I want.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5788952

This is my first build but I do have some experience inside computers. I just am really concerned with hardware computability.

Will the MoBo fit in that case? Will that power supply be able to power everything? Is the CPU/Memory/MoBo all compatible with each other?

The MoBo says RAID 0 and 1, so I am buying 2 hdds and I want to try to do a RAID 0. Will that work with the stuff I am getting? Do I need any additional controllers, etc.?

I just really need to make sure everything is compatible.

And if you have any other suggestions like how I can save money without losing too much power, etc, that would be great!

Thanks! :)

Jamie Nixx
08-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Scrap the motherboard, go for an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo, its cheap and is one of the best Intel boards available, and, its very easy to setup for a noob builder.

CPU is really good, so can't change that.

The power supply is also very good, but i would go for at least 600w.

Don't like that ram, go for Corsair XMS2 2GB kit, your comp will fly with it, but it might be overkill as it is Gaming ram, so go for reputable brands such as corsair, crucial, ocz ect

DO NOT, get Vista, at least not yet, the drivers are way behind and its a bit dodgy.

Everything else looks ok, but you don't have a case, for the mobo i suggested, your going to need an ATX case.

My personal recommendation is for either a Thermaltake Tsunami or Antec 900 they are both good, thats why i have both :D

You need any more info, just ask away mate :)

RickyTick
08-15-2007, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Everything else looks ok, but you don't have a case, for the mobo i suggested, your going to need an ATX case.

My personal recommendation is for either a Thermaltake Tsunami or Antec 900 they are both good, thats why i have both :D

You need any more info, just ask away mate :)[/QUOTE]

He listed the Antec P180B, which is a very popular case. However I agree that the 900 is the one to have. Newegg had it on sale last weekend for $90.00 after a $40 MIR. Yep, I bought one. :)

I agree with everything else Jamie said, however, I use Vista on a new gaming pc with no problems. Also, if you could step up the GPU to maybe a 7900GT you might be able to turn up the eye candy on most games. JMO

Jamie Nixx
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I can't see it, must be going blind :rolleyes:

The only game i really had trouble with Vista was Stalker, but that was enough for me take it off and use xp pro, which is flawless.

Going from the 7600GT to the 7900GT or GS is pretty steep in terms of price, it all depends on what your going to use the computer for.

A 7600GT will play anything out now on high graphics, maybe excluding a couple of games that have been released in the past few months, but even those will still look good.

If you can afford the extra, go for the 7900GT but bare in mind it may be an old card but is still a serious gamers card, and you may kick yourself if you shell out the extra when you could have got more ram or a bigger HD when you needed that instead.

The Wise Monkey
08-16-2007, 04:58 AM
I've had a 7600GT for about a year now, and it is an excellent card. Only got rid of it recently as I am upgrading my comp and managed to snag a 7900GTX on ebay for £80. :D