PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Western Digital RE4

chud
10-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive and am wondering about the recommended WD RE4 version. From what I've read that drive is meant to be used in a raid setup. Have you had any trouble with the TLER running it without raid?

Thanks

RickyTick
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the RE drives are for enterprise. You might want to consider the Caviar Black.

zburns
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive and am wondering about the recommended WD RE4 version. From what I've read that drive is meant to be used in a raid setup. Have you had any trouble with the TLER running it without raid?

Technically, Enterprise means a 'step up' over Caviar Black. An Enterprise component is for example 'a component for servers and is designed and tested to run 24/7 for a very long time'. This simply means it should be a better component than the HDs meant for Desktops. In this case the 'Mean Time Between Failure' for the RE4 and the Caviar Black are virtually identical.

Notice in chud's post above, he uses the words '. . . recommended WD RE4 version.' This reference by chud refers to Rob's recommendation for the RE4 as Rob's choice for the HD in Rob's Super PC Build. See this URL: http://www.mysuperpc.com/harddrive.shtml dated 10/19/2012. This hard drive choice shows up in other pages of Rob's build. I happened to see it, Ricky did not or else he would have made reference to it!!

Have you had any trouble with the TLER running it without raid?

I did see what this abbreviation meant, however, I do know its impact on RAID, but I will try to find out tomorrow and post back the answer. Again, Rob recommends using it, so I assume that base is covered, but I will check!

zburns
10-20-2012, 09:02 AM
This post almost comes under the 'Trivia' heading. As of last Thursday or yesterday am, I found WD Caviar Black drives on the WD home website. However, last nite and this am, I can find no mention of 'Caviar' on anything I pull up on WD site.

As I recall, when I did see the Caviar Black drive, both it and the new RE enterprise drive had virtually identical MTBF ('mean time between failure') specs. I am thinking WD has dropped 'Caviar' and the RE Enterprise line replaces WD Caviar Black -- telephone call will clear it all up mid day.

zburns
10-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is a clue to 'caviar dilemma' I mention above. This URL takes you to the Western Digital 'WD Black' page for desktop drives: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

At the bottom of the page, this info: You might also consider: "WD VelociRaptor, WD RE and WD Black". Note that WD Caviar Black is missing, and that WD RE is included in the Desktop Drive category along with the VelociRaptor and WD Black drives. So it appears that WD RE drive, even tho WD advertises it as 'an Enterprise Drive', it appears to be in the Desktop complement of drives.

Again, Rob includes this drive in his updated page yesterday, Friday Oct 19. I assume WD has discontinued the use of the description Caviar Black for a 'high end' hard drive.

Rob
10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
I do believe the RE4 has been a drive targetted to RAID users, but that means little when considering a hard drive for your own computer. It works as a stand-alone drive. It is a faster performer, has high reliablity and, important to me, is fairly quiet. It's also priced right. Most hard drives leave me wanting on at least one of those points, but I've been very pleased with the RE4. I wonder how much longer a hard drive will be a typical component in a computer? Those SSD's are looking pretty good.