PDA

View Full Version : Front Firewire + Antec III

ajpikul
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey I'm AJ. It's my first time putting together a computer entirely. I did 3 hours of research into hardware and devices to figure out exactly what I wanted, then found this site, and used it as a 100% guide, assured by the fact that I chose many of the same parts as Rob, or would have chosen the same parts had I found them. Thanks!

Heres the deal, I got shipped an Antec III, despite ordering an Antec II. I had been unsure of which I wanted in the first place, but the lack of space for a front firewire port in the Antec III concerned me- not because I need a front firewire port, but because the motherboard has it and I'd like to get the case most compatible. If we don't get the Antec II, does that render the motherboards front firewire port useless? What are my options.

Thanks, AJ

Rob
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
You could add a bay faceplate that has a Firewire port on it. I discuss faceplates on this page.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/computer_case.shtml

I'm planning on getting the Antec Sonata 3 a little later this year. My guess is that Firewire is on the way out, and eSata is on the way in. In the meantime, we're in a transition period where a case may support front panel eSata, but the motherboard does not.

ajpikul
08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
The case tells you to plug the eSATA cable into one of the regular SATA ports on the motherboard. I'll take their word for it but does that mean you can hotswap SATA's?

vaneddy
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi AJ
Don't know if Rob specifically mentions this in his writings but Frontx makes a front panel adaptor.
You will only need to adapt the Sonata lll's rails to the panel by drilling a couple of holes. Usb, firewire, audio etc. can be ordered from them and slid into the front of this thing and it look great. Portions of it not used are blocked with neat little covers. Comes with a door but can remove easily.
You can order both front to rear panel or front to mobo connections.
Ed