PDA

View Full Version : 32GB installed (16gb usable)

djd3mon
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I recently built my 2nd pc. I ham having a problem that I have no clue how to fix.

I have 4 stick of 8gb corsair memory. I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

On my computer properties my memory is showing this: 32GB installed (16gb usable)

my motherboard is the asus fx990 sabertooth and it is capable of using all 32 gb.

My question is how do I get the full usage of all 32 gb?

any other info you need please let me know.

Thank you.

zburns
10-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Google 'asus fx990 sabertooth'. This will get you to the Asus home page for the fx 990 Sabertooth mobo . Click on the 'Memory/Device Support' tab in the menu bar under the pictures of the mobo. You have to go to a PDF file, so you need Adobe reader already downloaded to do this. Once you get into Sabertooth-990FX-D...zip (this is the file url), you will see whole page charts of memory that works with your mobo. This is important: The memory column you see vertically is for the 'total memory installed' -- so all you have to do is read down the column vertically, and, do this for the entire available movement of the right hand scroll bar. What you will find is only several memory sticks that have a total of 16 Gb and NO 32 Gb entries.
(You will find lots of smaller amounts of total memory, but not 32 Gb)

What I suspect is at play is this: The motherboard supports up to 32 Gb of memory according to specs, but the mobo also supports up to 8 cores. So I suspect that the 32 Gb memory spec means 32 Gb only if all 8 cores are being utilized. Asus has to have an explanation for this, but you will only get it from ASUS, I assume. Assuming you are in the USA, look for an Asus Tech Support phone number that has USA attached to it. Wherever you are, ASUS has tech support you can talk to.

I am sure there is a good explanation.

Addendum: The Qualified Vendor List for Memory suppliers showed only 16 GB max to be installed. Obviously, your memory of 4 sticks of 8 gig per stick is not on that list. So that is another mystery to ask Asus tech support, directly!