PDA

View Full Version : design help

ja1171
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I am doing some work involving analyzing large datasets using a variety of statistical and GIS software. I asked my department to get me a workstation, and they approved me a budget to build a machine instead. Looks like I have a budget of about $3,300. The datasets that I am working on run between 30 and 50GB. I have been told that I should have more RAM than the size of the file that I am trying to work with for the software to be able to open it and work with it. I am thinking about the following:

CPU i7-3930k

MB one of the ASUS p9x79 boards

RAM 64 GB

I need recommendations on all of this. I'll probably install a SSD to house the OS and the analysis software and a regular HD to store data. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

zburns
10-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi ja1171, and welcome to the forums,

About a year ago, I did an extensive series of replies to a wannebe builder for a workstation for 'mapping purposes' ( I presume GIS was in the terminology). I do recall talking directly with the company that wrote the mapping software, and, much to my surprise, their software only utilized one core, no multiple cores. This had to do with the original software being written for one core, back in the years when there was only one core. Each year their was modifications and additions to the 'single core software'.

So to go to being able to use multiple cores required rewriting and proofing of the entire software package. The assumption being that the market for this product is limited and, therefore, not cost effective
-------------
I suggest that you Google a specific example of a GIS software packages you know you can use. Call the 'owner' of that GIS software and ask them if their GIS software package runs on a 6 core processor, or even a quad core cpu. Do this with all possible iterations of GIS software that you might have an interest in using.

If none of them can utilize 6 cores, then there is no point in buying a six core processor. It is possible that many GIS software packages cannot make use of even a 4 core cpu OR many can use a 4 core -- point is that any software package you want to use must be designed to run specifically on a specific number of cores. Perhaps, a late model software package is designed to run on 4 cores and default to six cores (if available).

If there is a GIS type company whose product runs on six core cpus, then they are the place to start.
----------------
You need to get advice from companies with direct hands on experience in desktop computers (workstations) that involve GIS systems. Our experience on this forum is 'home builders' that just want to 'build' their general purpose computer rather than purchase, but, mostly, gamers who want to build their own 'gaming computer' because they can blend their budget to specific specifications that suit them.

Hope this helps.