PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Back On Budget, Recommendation on what to cut?

DDVX
09-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey guys, I am building my first gaming PC as many others who post on this forum. I am using techreports "Editor's Choice" as my guide on what to get. My budget is flexible but I'm trying to stay below $1500. The only problem is that I need to buy a monitor, too (looking at a 23" if you guys have any specific recommendations it would be much appreciated). Here is what I have so far:

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz $229.99
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK $119.99 (after $20 rebate)
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $44.99
Graphics Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 $399.99
Storage Samsung 830 Series 256GB $199.99
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $19.99
Enclosure Corsair Obsidian Series 650D $149.99 (after $20 rebate)
Power supply Corsair HX650W $109.99 (after $10 rebate)
Total $1,274.92

I updated their guide for the current prices that newegg has. I removed the audio card because I use SPDIF. I also picked a DVD burner instead of blu-ray to save some cash, but mattering on how the below questions are answered, I might reconsider that (as well as some standard hard drive storage space). I have three main questions:

1) I don't really plan on overclocking. With that and my budget in mind. Which would be the smartest option for me in terms of Processor? 3570k, 3570, or 3470?
2) I've been looking at the P8Z77-V LK motherboard as well as the ASUS P8Z77-M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. I haven't been able to find any significant difference. Is there any big thing that I'm missing?
3) I don't really know how to tell how big of a power supply I need. I know it is a big no-no to try and skimp on it. Do I really need one this big/this one specifically?

Thanks for the help. I know that the techreport guide isn't the end-all by any means, but I feel like they at least give me a good starting ground.

RickyTick
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
1) I don't really plan on overclocking. With that and my budget in mind. Which would be the smartest option for me in terms of Processor? 3570k, 3570, or 3470?
If you don't plan to overclock, then any of these will be fine. All these IB processors are really really fast. They won't have any problem playing the latest games.

2) I've been looking at the P8Z77-V LK motherboard as well as the ASUS P8Z77-M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. I haven't been able to find any significant difference. Is there any big thing that I'm missing?
I probably wouldn't go with the micro ATX.

3) I don't really know how to tell how big of a power supply I need. I know it is a big no-no to try and skimp on it. Do I really need one this big/this one specifically?
You could go with the TX650. It's still an excellent psu, but not usually as much as the HX or AX.

Thanks for the help. I know that the techreport guide isn't the end-all by any means, but I feel like they at least give me a good starting ground.
The TechReport Guide is one of the best out there. I use it as a reference all the time.