PDA

View Full Version : Move video card from slimline computer case to standard

MWASNEWSKY
09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I have an AMD Radeon HD 6350 Graphics Card in a slimline computer case that I would like to move to a standard computer case. The graphics card came manufacturer installed in the slimline computer case so it did not come with an extra faceplate to fit a standard computer case. Is it possible to purchase a faceplate for this graphics card that will fit a standard computer case? If so, where do you recommend I purchase this from?

I have already contacted AMD, they replied "AMD only manufactures the chipset that controls the graphic card. products are manufactured by our partners. These products are developed utilizing AMD technology and will often clearly be marked with our partner’s name and logos. Warranty for these products is provided by the partner manufacturer."

zburns
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Take a look at this Wikipedia link about the Radeon product line. It sort of fits the story you are telling. Your card will have a part number or 'numbers' permanently etched on it or somehow 'securely fastened to it'. You may can contact the companies listed in the Wiki article and get the face plate.

The date you purchased the 'slimline computer case' matters. If you know the date and you have some type of model number, you may get lucky in that 'card data' will match up with dates or other info Wiki article. Anyhow, the Wiki article may be a 'good next step' for you to get help.

If it is easy for you to take a photo of the card, close up and several different views, post them on this forum, we might be able to help further.

Here is the link to the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon

The article was last edited in Sept of 2012. Good luck!!

MWASNEWSKY
09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you for your help! I'll read ito the wikipedia article later tonight. Hopefully these photos help - there are so many numbers I'm not sure where to start!

http://mdsnyc.com/videocard/photo1.jpg
http://mdsnyc.com/videocard/photo3.jpg
http://mdsnyc.com/videocard/photo5.jpg
http://mdsnyc.com/videocard/photo2.jpg

The slimline case was just purchased less than a month ago. The is the exact computer I purchased on Tiger Direct: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1398563&CatId=4929

zburns
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I just did a post to you and then deleted it -- so forget about it. I assume the computer you purchased from Tiger Direct is what you are calling the Slimline Case, and the above video card was installed in it -- Yes or No?

Assuming your answer is 'Yes', I will add these comments.

I assume the Slimline computer case meets ATX specifications. In whatever 'Manual' that came with the computer, you should see some nomenclature that includes the letters ATX or maybe even Mini ATX.

I can actually pull some dimensions off the photos because you have a picture of the anchor plate that protrudes thru the rear of the case. The card itself looks like a standard ATX video card shape. Assuming all these assumptions being the case, I would conclude that the card by itself can be installed in a standard ATX computer case.

It has a fan on it, and, it has what looks like a routine 16 pin plug in circuit board connector and it has the metal end plate that is used to position it in the rear opening for PCIe x16 components. It is missing a cover but I am not sure that really matters since the card would be inside the case just like the motherboard. Nevertheless, you might be able to hunt down a cover that is designed to fit the card.

Anyhow, try to answer my questions, and give me tomorrow to 'firm up' exactly what I suspect and I will post back to you tomorrow!

MWASNEWSKY
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes, the computer I purchased from Tiger Direct is the slimline case and the above video card came installed in the computer. I switched it out with another video card and was hoping to put this Radeon into another computer. That computer has a standard width case and the metal end plate is not long enough to allow the card to reach the PCIe x16 slot. That is why I'm looking for a bigger metal end plate.

I can't find anything in the manual stating the case meets ATX specifications however it explains the power supply:

"The HP Small Form Factor (SFF) power supplies are based on the CFX12V industry standard form factor defined by the ATX specification. The exact CFX12V power supply dimensions, however, are not compatible with the traditional HP SFF system dimensions; therefore HP must deviate from the specification. The HP chassis design includes an innovative serviceability feature that requires additional deviation from the CFX12V specification.

As with the CMT/MT, the CFX12V standard power supply did not meet the product quality and reliability goals for HP products. The CFX12V power dimensions constrain the integrated fan to 80mm. HP found the 80mm fan failed to meet thermal and acoustic performance requirements set for its business PC platforms, so
the power supply dimensions were increased to allow a 92mm fan. This action effectively broke away from the ATX12V standard.

The basic design of the CFX12V power supply form factor causes it to partially overhang the motherboard. This creates an additional height constraint on the
motherboard components. In the HP SFF, the large 24-pin power connector must be placed in or near the motherboard region constrained by the overhanging power
supply.

There have been several solutions to this issue in recent products. The dc7700 and dc7800 SFF products used a smaller micro-fit connector instead of the larger,
industry-standard, mini-fit connector. The dc7900 and dc5800 SFF products were able to return to the industry-standard mini-fit connector, but there were still
challenges to that solution. When the dc7900 and dc5800 SFF returned to the industry-standard connector, the system still needed a fan control interface. This function had been integrated in the smaller micro-fit connector design of the dc7700 and dc7800 SFF products.

Instead of using the optional 6-pin connector defined by the ATX standard for the fan control signals, HP simply used a common fan connector used by other fans in
the system. The primary reason for using this style of connector was that the dc5800 motherboard was shared between the SFF and MT chassis, and the MT
required a rear chassis fan connection instead of the power supply fan connection. The fan connector was the solution shared by the SFF power supply fan and the MT
rear chassis fan.

In summary, the SFF power supply has not been fully compliant with the CFX12V
industry standard, either electrically or mechanically, for many product generations."

zburns
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I just did a long post about your rear mounting plate and completely lost the post when I tried to post it.

This is a short version. Here is a wikipedia url that gets you to a plate similar to what you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/mounting-bracket-full-size-for-VGA-Graphics-video-card-/180650514001

The plug opening is probably too small. If you will measure your DVI 59 plug and send me the dimensions, I will give you some feedback. The Wiki article has photos and a tape measure laying on the photos, so you can pull your own dimensions -- but if you have a problem, let me know. I checked the wiki bracket against my ATX case rear brackets and they appear identical in all dimensions -- except for the hole for the plug.

You could buy the ebay plate and adjust the size of the hole using a round metal file and a small flat file where needed. If you do stuff like this, it is no big deal; if you are not familiar with it, your only problem might be the 'neatness' of the final work; also, you might find it difficult to hold tight when filing. A milling machine is the best and fastest way to do it 'perfectly'. If you buy this plate and cut out the hole larger, by yourself, of someone else, the existing plating where the work is done will be removed which subjects the plate to corrosion (rust); clean the part well, spray it with some clear lacquer that will stick (see can inst), of just touch up the edges where plating removed with some paint and a small brush.

Hope this helps!!

zburns
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Just thought of a problem with my post. I completely ignored the position of the plug as it is mounted within the plate. Your photo is pretty 'level' on the monitor screen. If you will carefully measure the distance between the plugs two mounting posts, that will give me a measurement in actual inches that I can use to make measurements of the plug and the end plate from the photograph. Try to get a measurement accurate to 1/32 inch from mounting post centerline to the other mounting post center line. You will have to do it just by eyeballing it, but that can be fairly accurate! Thanks, sorry for the mistake.