PDA

View Full Version : First boot, no video, no beeps.

daflyindutchman
09-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I just put together my new build today, went to start it up, but I get no video. The fans are spinning, the green standby light is on the MOBO, and the red LED is lit up for the HDD. I just remembered to install the speaker, but still heard no beeps. I then took out the RAM, and there were still no beeps. My specs are as follows: Intel i5 Sandy Bridge, ATI Radeon 7970HD, Corsair Vengance DDR3 (8 GB), Seagate Barracuda 1TB, ASUS Z77 Sabertooth MOBO.

Thanks for the help!

zburns
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Remove everything but the motherboard, cpu and one stick of Ram. You are looking for some video -- any video -- as in the 'first boot sequence'. Look in your motherboard manual for the first step when you turn on your 'build'. Your want to see the black and white video of the 'boot up' sequence. If you get nothing with the first stick of RAM, try each of the remaining sticks. If after trying the several RAM sticks, you still have nothing. And you are sure that all 'connections are solid (good tight connections), you can assume a defective mobo, cpu or RAM.

If you are at this point, I suggest you take the mobo, cpu and RAM to a computer repair shop. Let them stick the cpu in a working computer, then each RAM stick, then the mobo. You have three items that are the possible cause, and, only one of them, hopefully, is the defective item. You have to have a three 'drop in' compatible components to check all three items -- no way around this.

Of course, you have to know that your monitor is working correctly -- if it is a new monitor, check it on another computer somewhere before you go to the above sequence.