PDA

View Full Version : First build - HDD access problem

Challey
08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi all. This is my first computer build, done over the weekend and which appeared to go well, though it took much longer than I thought it would. I successfully loaded the OS and most of the drivers last night (to the SSD) and the machine boots normally. The only real problem I've encountered is accessing the mechanical HDD.

When I go into Device Manager it recognizes the drive - WDC1003FBYX01Y7B ATA Device - and says that device is working properly and the write cache is enabled. I checked for s/w updates and it says that am up to date. On the last tab, Device Description, it identifies it a disk drive.

The problem is that is is not accessible, that is, it does not show in My Computer, though the other drive (the SSD) does. Can anyone suggest what the issue may be and how to fix it?

Here is a description of the computer, components and OS:
MB & CPU - GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD Motherboard
FX 6100 Black Edition 3.6GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU fan
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (2- 4GB modules)
Video - XFX HD5450 (PCIe) Graphics card
Power Supply - OCZ Silencer Mk III Power Supply (80+ Bronze) 600w
Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 Gb SSD
plus WD SATA2 1TB RAID 64MB
Case - Cooler Master 912
Samsung optical drives (2)
Win 64 Home Premium

Challey
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
. . . When I go into Device Manager it recognizes the drive - WDC1003FBYX01Y7B ATA Device - and says that device is working properly and the write cache is enabled. I checked for s/w updates and it says that am up to date. On the last tab, Device Description, it identifies it a disk drive.

The problem is that is is not accessible, that is, it does not show in My Computer, though the other drive (the SSD) does. Can anyone suggest what the issue may be and how to fix it?. . .
Not sure what the problem was but I reformatted the HDD and all is well now. This seems like a great system and if these small issues are all that crop up, I'll consider myself very fortunate.