PDA

View Full Version : First-time builder... PC Problems

Pausanius
08-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Hello,

So I recently built my first gaming PC after years of wanting to do so as a wedding present to myself and everything seems to run smoothly... however, I'm running into the below problem:

I currently store my music on an external HDD (self-powered) for use between my work PC (iMac) and gaming PC. Whenever I try to run music off the external HDD on the gaming PC, music will play fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes... and then the computer hard crashes as if you pulled the plug. In order to turn the computer back on, you have to unplug the machine, power it on to dispense the charge, plug it back in and then it turns on fine.

My knowledge here is fairly limited; however, I thought the problem would be heat or power-related but it doesn't seem to be. The hottest I've ever seen the CPU temp get is 42'C and the System temp hovers between 28 to 32'C. In terms of power, the external HDD is self-powered, and the only time the PC crashes is when its plugged in and turned on over a period of time. When it's not plugged in, I can play games (World of Warcraft, Caesar IV/Civilization IV typically) without any hitches.... 3dMark06 runs without any hiccups while yielding only slightly elevated temperatures. I've re-plugged things in

I would prefer to not have to store music on both PCs or mess with streaming from one to the other... any thoughts on what might be the problem? Also, I am considering getting an external SATA enclosure as the motherboard has an ESATA port on the back... any speculation on whether or not I'll run into the same issue?

Thanks,

Pausanius

Oops:

Intel E6600 2.4 Ghz
Corsair XMS2 2GB PC800 RAM
FOXCONN nForce 680i SLI motherboard
FOXCON nVidia 8800GTS video card
Rosewill 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake 8800BWA Case
Windows Vista