PDA

View Full Version : new build just want a look over :P

guinelle1
08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
i have a new build i checked to make sure the ram and CPU are compatibile just want you guys to look and see what you think. its an everyday pc barely ever sees any gaming mostly videos and stupid stuff but any gaming is old games so im not worried about new games and max settings.

thank you!

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7138/partslist.jpg

zburns
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Your post has a surprise in it and I want to know if you are aware of it. This is the first time I have seen something like this. Your motherboard choice has a 'onboard' dedicated graphics chip and can be run in Crossfire SLI configuration with an added graphics card in the pci express 16 slot. All of it is NEWS to me!!

Here are some links to look at:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88M/#specifications This link is the spec page for the Asus motherboard. Scroll down and look for the Graphics Spec, 4th item down on the Specification page.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/939643-starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/answers?qid=223005
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#specifications

This last URL, just above, is for a unrelated and different Asus motherboard specification page. I just wanted to prove to myself that the micro ATX page for your choice and the fact that there is on board graphics was not a 'fluke' specification (never seen it before on any asus spec). On this URL for Crosshair V Formula, under 'Multi GPU Support' , the dialogue is just the following: Supports NVIDIA® 3-Way SLI™ Technology --- and ---
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology -- No mention of anything like the Graphics section on the micro Asus M5A88-M motherboard -- the first URL of the three urls.

Before I go any further, I just wanted to know if you, Guinelle1, does understand that you have onboard graphics and that it can be paired with an external GPU card, but the card choice is limited to certain AMD cards -- not sure Invidia will work or not.

So please give us some feedback on the graphics choices. Did you intend to have only one graphics card (onboard or other), or, are you aware you really have (in effect) an 'onboard card (its a chip)' as well as an 'add-on card for the PCIE x 16 slot on the motherboard? -- Not at all sure you can use the Invidia card, but there are others if you want to pair the external video card with the onboard chip in SLI configuration!!!
---------------------
Edit Note: Sunday, 7:20 pm. I deleted the middle URL; it was not applicable. At the time I put it in, I had about 6 to 8 URLs up and I put in the wrong one, evidently.

Edit on Monday,12:50 pm: I put the deleted middle URL back in because it is applicable. It is a two year old discussion (2010). Integrated graphics (low end) graphics has existed since about 2007; MySuperPC forum members have not seen any discussion on the topic because most if not all GPU discussion on the forum is on medium to high frame rate graphics which is at the other end of the 'spectrum' when compared to low end intergrated graphics.

RickyTick
08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Wait...what?

guinelle1
08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Your post has a surprise in it and I want to know if you are aware of it. This is the first time I have seen something like this. Your motherboard choice has a 'onboard' dedicated graphics chip and can be run in Crossfire SLI configuration with an added graphics card in the pci express 16 slot. All of it is NEWS to me!!

Here are some links to look at:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88M/#specifications This link is the spec page for the Asus motherboard. Scroll down and look for the Graphics Spec, 4th item down on the Specification page.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/939643-starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/answers?qid=223005 This is a 'GameFAQs'. Read the entire first page.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#specifications

This last URL, just above, is for a unrelated and different Asus motherboard specification page. I just wanted to prove to myself that the micro ATX page for your choice and the fact that there is on board graphics was not a 'fluke' specification (never seen it before on any asus spec). On this URL for Crosshair V Formula, under 'Multi GPU Support' , the dialogue is just the following: Supports NVIDIA® 3-Way SLI™ Technology --- and ---
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology -- No mention of anything like the Graphics section on the micro Asus M5A88-M motherboard -- the first URL of the three urls.

Before I go any further, I just wanted to know if you, Guinelle1, does understand that you have onboard graphics and that it can be paired with an external GPU card, but the card choice is limited to certain AMD cards -- not sure Invidia will work or not.

So please give us some feedback on the graphics choices. Did you intend to have only one graphics card (onboard or other), or, are you aware you really have (in effect) an 'onboard card (its a chip)' as well as an 'add-on card for the PCIE x 16 slot on the motherboard? -- Not at all sure you can use the Invidia card, but there are others if you want to pair the external video card with the onboard chip in SLI configuration!!!

haha yes. this is news to me, and it may be nice in the future to be able to run crossfire with the onboard graphics, even though i was not planning on doing so. so i would need an AMD card to do it?

zburns
08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
guinelle1,

Okay, for the moment, I am going to back off my claims of the Asus motherboard having an onboard integrated graphics chip until I can get a straight story out of Asus.

Here is the specification for Graphics from the spec page for the motherboard you choose (everything between the hash marks):
-----------------
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 GPU

Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB
Hybrid CrossFireX™ Support
Blu-ray playback support *1
Supports DirectX 10.1, OpenGL 2.0, Shader Model 4.1
---------------
Note that the very first spec is 'Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 GPU'. Use of the word 'Integrated' means that it is on the motherboard, physically, when the motherboard is boxed up. Since Intel can now tout 'Intergrated Graphics on most of their later cpus, maybe Asus is someway implying 'the combination of the micro motherboard with the 4250 card installed' as being integrated graphics.

At midday today, I felt that I had several backups for stating that the M5A88-M motherboard did have Integrated Graphics including a statement of the 'onboard graphics running in Crossfire with and add-on GPU card similar to the 4250'. So I will clear it all up tomorrow.

zburns
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I talked to Asus about one hour ago. Definitely had an Asus Product Support Rep on the telephone. He pulled up the mother board M5A88-M and looked at the Graphics Spec and clearly stated that the motherboard had an onboard 'Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250
GPU'. Most important, he had nothing else to say knowledge wise about the subject. He did suggest I look to Radeon for advice.

Going back to yesterday, I did see that the PCIe x 16 slot could be used for a plug in HD425O along with the on board graphics in a SLI configuration. Anyhow, yesterday I had more information on open webpages, but I closed them out without saving them or saving a reference to them I guess. The fact that I was looking at this very unusual specification for 'onboard GPU graphics on a Asus motherboard with no backup or further discussion by Asus just 'rattled me' -- did not make sense then, and still does not.

Hopefully, I can find the answers today!!

zburns
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I talked to Asus about one hour ago. Definitely had an Asus Product Support Rep on the telephone. He pulled up the mother board M5A88-M and looked at the Graphics Spec and clearly stated that the motherboard had an onboard 'Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250
GPU'. Most important, he had nothing else to say knowledge wise about the subject. He did suggest I look to Radeon for advice.

Going back to yesterday, I did see that the PCIe x 16 slot could be used for a plug in HD425O along with the on board graphics in a SLI configuration. Anyhow, yesterday I had more information on open webpages, but I closed them out without saving them or saving a reference to them I guess. The fact that I was looking at this very unusual specification for 'onboard GPU graphics on a Asus motherboard with no backup or further discussion by Asus just 'rattled me' -- did not make sense then, and still does not.

Hopefully, I can find the answers today!!
-------------
First item I looked is old but relevant: This URL from 2007: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-faqs This statement just below the large Radeon Graphics Chart: Question: What is AMD Hybrid CrossFire? Answer: Hybrid CrossFire allows integrated graphics and low-end discrete graphics to be used in CrossFire mode.

Back in 2007, Radeon and Invidia were doing this -- Integrated on board graphics 'SLI ed' with a discrete plug in compatible 'low performance' graphics card. Note: I also ran into this discussion yesterday and considered it unimportant because I had the notion that 'onboard graphics in SLI with a discrete card' was new stuff -- not 2007 'old'.
-------------
Ok here is another link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/#specifications This motherboard appears to be current; look under graphics.
----------
Now I want to find some Asus or ATI (Radeon) discussion on the topic!!
-----------
Note: The deletion I made yesterday in my first post (above) has been reinstated. (First Post above:see 'Edit on Monday,12:50 pm')

zburns
08-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Hear is the AMD chipset URL (contains data on the HD 4250 onboard graphics): http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/8-series-integrated/Pages/amd-880g-chipset.aspx

Take a look and notice the list of AMD partners (Asus leading the list).
--------------
Here is the URL for AMD specs on the HD 4250 graphics card (I assume same specs apply to onboard graphics; if not, why or how the same name/number can be used). http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/ati-radeon-hd-4200/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4200-specificatications.aspx

Look at the specs from the standpoint of the 'shader' processors. Look up the specs on your Evga card, and, look for the number of 'Cuda Cores' (shader processors, same thing). This will give you a comparison of the two. Your card has far more processors, therefore you can run at faster frame rates than the HD 4250.

Ask any questions that come to mind on the onboard or plug in versions, also any questions you may have regards comparing your EVGA card choice to the HD4250.

I think you now have the whole picture that overcomes the confusion of yesterday.
----------------
What Windows software do you plan to buy?

guinelle1
08-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Hear is the AMD chipset URL (contains data on the HD 4250 onboard graphics): http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/8-series-integrated/Pages/amd-880g-chipset.aspx

Take a look and notice the list of AMD partners (Asus leading the list).
--------------
Here is the URL for AMD specs on the HD 4250 graphics card (I assume same specs apply to onboard graphics; if not, why or how the same name/number can be used). http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/ati-radeon-hd-4200/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4200-specificatications.aspx

Look at the specs from the standpoint of the 'shader' processors. Look up the specs on your Evga card, and, look for the number of 'Cuda Cores' (shader processors, same thing). This will give you a comparison of the two. Your card has far more processors, therefore you can run at faster frame rates than the HD 4250.

Ask any questions that come to mind on the onboard or plug in versions, also any questions you may have regards comparing your EVGA card choice to the HD4250.

I think you now have the whole picture that overcomes the confusion of yesterday.
----------------
What Windows software do you plan to buy?

yes, i decided to go ahead and just place the order this morning. i figured i really dont need to run crossfire with the onboard graphics. i have always been a nvidia fan anyway and was kind of dead set on an nvidia card. it will be running windows 7.

zburns
08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Good move; do not see any problems. The Evga card is faster than two HD4250s running in SLI. The Evga card has 192 processors, each 4250 40 processors, so 192 against 80 is apx(edit) 2.4 times faster, all other factors being equal.
--------------
A lot of what I was doing was to get familiar with the onboard graphics concept and understand 'the block diagram' of the way it all came together. If the topic has been on the forum in the last 4 years, I have not seen it.