PDA

View Full Version : build advice

em59
08-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Hello, i'm building a pc to connect to my tv. I'm planning on assembling a small, mid-quality system with no optical drive. Here is what i have so far:

Motherboard: intel dq45ek mitx
Cpu: any lga 775 socket. Any suggestions?
Ram: 3072Mb pc5300 DDR2 sd ram (recycled). I will probably start with 4 gigs, but i think the mobo will take up to 8. I may upgrade in the future.
Hard drive: 200gb sata 5400 rpm (recycled)
Case: i am also unsure about this. I don't think this will be low power enough for a fanless case. Do you have any suggestions for the case and the power source?

I am pretty new at this and this forum and its members have been a great help already. Any advice is very appreciated, thank you all.

RickyTick
08-04-2012, 09:46 AM
The SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450 would be a nice choice and comes with a very reliable power supply. It's worth taking a look at.
For a cpu, it's hard to beat the good 'ol Q6600.
If you want to address all 4 gb of ram then you'll need the 64-bit version of Mint. You probably already knew that, but i just wanted to throw that in.

em59
08-04-2012, 06:35 PM
The SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450 would be a nice choice and comes with a very reliable power supply. It's worth taking a look at.
For a cpu, it's hard to beat the good 'ol Q6600.
If you want to address all 4 gb of ram then you'll need the 64-bit version of Mint. You probably already knew that, but i just wanted to throw that in.

Thanks for your feedback Ricky. That case is slightly out of my price range. What did you like about it? Would you recommend fan-less? 450w power supply?

I was also thinking about something not quite as tall, like this Apevia X-FIT-200 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower with 250W Power Supply or this IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Steel Mini-ITX with 200W Power Supply.