PDA

View Full Version : Should I run dual graphics cards?

alexgd0193
08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Last year I built a system with the:

-NZXT Gamma case
-Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 motherboard
-Intel i7-2600k processor
-2 x 4GB G.Skill 1866 RAM
-EVGA GeForce 560 Ti
-Rosewill 1000W PSU
-1TB Seagate hard drive
-60GB Crucial M4 SSD
-Some extra case fans and a CD/DVD drive

Just last week my power flashed and a surge jumped through both of my surge protectors and into my computer. When I tried turning it back on, it sounded like it was booting up normally, but there was no video output. After some diagnostics, the damage was narrowed down to the motherboard. So I just bought:

-ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard
-NZXT Phantom 002 Full Tower

Now that I have more space in my case (and everything is torn apart), I am considering running a dual graphics card. Would that be worth the money? Or should I just look at a bigger, better graphics card? I am open to both ideas. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

RickyTick
08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I would wait a little bit. Nvidia is scheduled to launch the GTX660 Ti very soon and the early rumors are that it will be a solid performer.

zburns
08-04-2012, 10:34 AM
This post is in regard to your 'shutdown'. The Rosewill psu has overvoltage and overcurrent protection circuits to prevent such a failure as you describe. The voltage and current cannot reach your motherboard without going thru the psu; therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that the power supply safety circuits did not function properly. The only 'certain' way to find out the 'present status' of your psu, is to return it to Rosewill and ask them to run it thru the 'full final testing process that all new identical models of this psu are run thru at the final manufacturing stage'.

The overvoltage and overcurrent protection circuits should operate in an extremely short period of time, a few milliseconds if not microseconds. Rosewill specifications for this psu should spell out the 'time it takes for the overvoltage and overcurrent circuits to trip in and prevent the surge from going forward.

The information you supplied regards the incoming surge protector was minimal. All I can say in regard to it is that the internal surge protection components / circuit should have prevented the surge from 'moving thru' the surge protector device to the computer. Regardless, the combination of various 'surge' protection circuits including the psu should have stopped the surge. As the surge progressed thru the psu, the psu circuits should have shut down the output of the psu.

Rosewill owes you an explanation as to the status of your existing psu as well as an explanation of the 'conditions that allowed the surge to move thru the psu and cause the damage'. Not having a 'factual explanation from the manufacturer' would seem to leave you open to a repeat experience.

Not sure I was clear on this point. The incoming voltage/current to your computer goes to the 'primary windings' of the power supply. The secondary windings of the PSU supply the various low voltages to run the entire computer. This means the 'voltage/current' surge had to go thru the power supply transformer and on thru the protection circuits. The primary voltage coming into the psu is 110 volts ac. The maximum transformer secondary voltage is less than 12 volts ac.

My entire point of this post is that you still have unanswered questions regards the initial fault!

alexgd0193
08-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Any time frame for its release? And would it be able to run SLI with the 560Ti?

Thanks

alexgd0193
08-05-2012, 03:41 AM
I do see what you're saying and I will contact Rosewill. I'll let you know what they say.

RickyTick
08-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Any time frame for its release? And would it be able to run SLI with the 560Ti?

Thanks

Rumors suggest a mid-August release.
You cannot run it in SLI with a 560Ti.

alexgd0193
08-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Perfect timing, the 660Ti pops up on a Swedish site for pre-order just in the past day or so. (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-660ti-nvidia-graphcis-card,16631.html) So you think it would be better to run a single 660Ti over dual 560Ti's?

RickyTick
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
If you want the most Frames Per Second, then the 2 560's in SLI would be better than a single 660, but there are other things to consider. Power consumption, heat, price, and driver support are all problematic issues for SLI setups. It also depends on what resolution monitor you'll be using.
I personally don't like multiple gpu setups, but I'm not a hard core gamer either. As a casual gamer, a single gpu with a monitor of 24" or less, is a great gaming experience.

alexgd0193
08-07-2012, 03:00 AM
I just use a 24" monitor, so a single can do the job. I was just thinking it would be a cheaper investment now to get another graphics card and run SLI than to buy a whole new graphics card and scrap the one I currently have. But a major issue I see with SLI is the noise. My 1000W PSU should cover the power consumption of both cards, and in the Phantom case I just bought (with extra fans) heat should be dissipated well. But my 560Ti gets hot when playing some more demanding games and, with the way I've mapped the fan control, my card's fan is screaming at 90% is capability. This tends to make for a loud gaming experience. So I was hoping that getting another 560Ti would mean that each card wouldn't get as hot under load because they would be sharing the workload, and less heat would mean a lower fan usage. But having double cards may cause it to be just as loud, if not louder. I wish there was a way to test out both set-ups before ordering anything. :rolleyes: