PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a build for a friend.

greeceny
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi all...I am very new here and also new to building computers but I am going to get my feet wet in order to help the brother of a close friend of my.

Last month one of my best friends took his own life over something very stupid. He was only 17 years old and had just graduated from high school. Never did drugs and was always kind to others. A great hockey player with a huge future ahead of him.
We both planned on building together a couple of high end gaming rigs but because of cash we could only order a few things at a time and set them aside until we could get more money. Not easy getting funds when you are a student.

He had already bought a HAF X full case and also a "sparkle" 1250w power supply. we didn't dare buy the cpu or mother board first because by the time we had money for the complete system they would have most likely been out dated.
Anyhow, he left behind a slightly older brother and I thought it would be a great idea for us to set out and finish what Josh had started. He was very excited about making a system with me before he died and this has not been a easy thing for me to handle as well as not very easy to even look at his case and PS. I just want to do this and give it to his brother so he has something that Josh was hands on with in the start.

Can you guys please help me with ideas of items such as a fast processor, mother board, memory etc that would make for a great gaming comp for this case?
I am clueless where to run with all of this. Thanks so much for any and all your help.
BTW this was my friend... http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=92861086

RickyTick
07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the MySuperPC forums. Sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

For a killer gaming rig without dumping too much money into it, I'd look for something along these lines.
Intel i5-3570k processor
Z77 motherboard. Maybe the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, or the Asus P8Z77-V LK.
4gb (2x2gb) of DDR3 1600 ram
1TB mechanical hard drive, like the Western Digital Caviar Black, or the Samsung F3
For the video card, look at the Nvidia GTX670 or the Radeon HD7950.

How's that for starters?

greeceny
07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank you for the input and ideas. I think based on several points from others and also my friends Ihave decided what I will use to build my system and have placed all my orders to complete this...

Have HAF X case
Have 1250W sparkle PC
Ordered Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard
Ordered Unlocked I7 3770K Ivy bridge cpu
Ordered EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB GPU
Ordered H100 Liq cooled fan
Ordered 32GB of Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 memory
Ordered Crucial M4 SSD 256GB drive
Ordered WD WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM VelociRaptor Hard Drive ( for storage and games)
Ordered LG Super Multi Blu-Ray Reader/Writer
Ordered (2) additional Blue LED 200MM fans to replace the single upper fan above where I want to mount h100.
Ordered Full retail version of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate ( making sure it see's all that 32 GB memory.)

Now I just need to read up on how to install all of this LOL.