PDA

View Full Version : Alternative/Cheaper Parts

georgeforeman89
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Hey everyone. I'm currently in the process for shopping for a new computer. Here is what I am looking at:
Case: Haf 932 or Haf X
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
MoBo: P8z77 v-pro
CPU: i7 3770k
Cooling: Noctua Nh-d14
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 (please suggest other powerful GPUs as I am not well versed. I have seen bencharks for this GPU and was astounded.)
Memory: 16gb DDR3 (corsair vengeance? maybe? possibly?)
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb (maybe 1.5 or 2 then partitioning so I can add an SSD later)
Sound Card: ? - I have no idea about sound cards.

**I am looking to spend right around $1,400-1,500, and also please note that the price range DOES NOT include the GPU**

That being said, I'm wondering if there are any parts here that can be downgraded without losing speed or functionality. For example, I know I could go with the p8Z68 MoBo instead, but it's only a 10-15$ difference so that's no biggie. I guess my real question is how can I be the most cost effective in this build? Also, can you guys suggest other full tower cases with good cooling and USB 3.0 ports? One more thing- can someone give me a crash course in sound cards? I'm looling to use this computer as a makeshift home theater system as well so 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby is a must. Thanks in advance!

~Jimmy

RickyTick
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
The GTX680 is rather pricey. Have you considered the GTX670? It's more than capable of playing newer games on their highest settings.
16gb is overkill for ram. Unless you found a really good deal on ram, this is a place to save a few dollars too.

georgeforeman89
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I plan on keeping this build for quite some time. I will look into the 670, but I think I will stay at 16gb simply for ease of mind. I'm hoping that buying some of the best stuff out there will keep my computer running very nicely in the years to come. Especially with games becoming as demanding as they are right now.