PDA

View Full Version : CPU to run virtual machines

pauls
07-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

First time builder. I want to build a tower workstation (or two) to run virtual machines, to practice managing the system.

Use - run about 15-20 virtual machines at once, not much load on them, mostly to practice dev ops (automated configuration and management of the server system.)

# linux virtual machines (initially created with kvm, maybe managed with ganeti.)

# small server stacks; apache web servers, application servers, HAproxy

# puppet

# nagios

# git/gitolite

# eventually maybe an LDAP server, mail server, etc.

My main question is about the CPU. I think the rest will fall in line after that.

I'm thinking to run the max number of VMs with low load, I want more cores over processor speed. The AMD FX-8120 Zambezi is half the price with 8 cores, versus the Intel ivy bridge with 4 cores and faster speed and hyperthreading. Granted, a more apples-to-apples comparison is probably an earlier Intel i5 or i7 processor at closer to the AMD price. But I’m thinking the AMD with 8 cores is the way to go for this application. Agree/disagree? Advice?

Beyond that, I'll get a case with at least 4 drive bays, mobo able to take 32 MB ram, good quality 65 watt power supply.

I'll post a parts list when I narrow it down.

Thanks for any help on the CPU.

Paul