PDA

View Full Version : Which ethernet cable to use with router?

piikea
07-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Ingredients: cable internet > WNDR3700 router > ethernet cables > 2 PC's

I've not had a router before & am seeing conflicting & confusing info on ethernet cable types. Currently it's set up w/ a UTP patch Cat5 ethernet cable I already had w/ the Cable Modem & an STP patch Cat5e ethernet cable that came with router & everything works fine. I need to get another ethernet cable to go from router to PC2.

Near as I can surmise optimally I would buy an STP Cat5e patch cable. I thought patch & crossover were 2 different types but then I've seen them sold as crossover patch cables as if they're the same (??).
- or -
Buy 2 more STP Cat5e cables so they'll all be capable of the same speeds. PC1 has Gigabit (10/100/1000) port but PC2 (probably) doesn't (just 10/100).

Can anyone advise?

zburns
07-15-2012, 09:34 AM
If I am in your situation meaning without specifically knowing exactly what to do, I would take the approach of looking at the plug in connector points on the devices and picking a cable based on the point to point specific connectors required. Typically, in all Desktop situations (which are simple) that I have dealt with, the 'connectors' drive the entire 'interconnect cabling'. Hope this comment makes sense!!

Even if a point to point cable has different speed ratings compared to a similar cable for the same two devices, such a cable will have at least one different connector. This is an opinion based on some years of observation.

RickyTick
07-15-2012, 07:53 PM
All you need is CAT 5e ethernet cables. You can buy them already made up and in specific lengths and colors. Just determine what length you want and buy them.
Look here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100016774%20600026301&IsNodeId=1&name=5E&SpeTabStoreType=15).