PDA

View Full Version : New Budget Build

chunkylover53
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Feels like forever since I was here! Getting ready to build a new PC for some friends, and there was no question where to come first. As always, I went right to the Budget Build sticky. Are those recos still good since the last update?

The build I need is for some light gaming & normal home use stuff, like streaming video, etc. I am going to give them my old video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130567 so I don't need to worry about that or memory or peripherals. Mostly just need PSU, CPU & MB options - less than $300 if I can for those 3. Thanks!!

RickyTick
06-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Welcome back old friend.

The recommended builds are a bit out of date now. I've been saying for weeks that I was going to update them. I guess I better get started. I'll try to have this done by the end of the day.

RickyTick
06-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Sorry Chunky, I just can't seem to motivate myself to update the build lists. If you need some help, just look here (http://techreport.com/articles.x/22972) for now. Sorry.

zburns
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey Chunky, good to hear from you again. We are about the same 'age' in the forums - 2007 or 2008, I think!! If I can help, let me know.

Ricky's suggestion gives you a good outline or individual purchase options. I have looked thru the entire 'portfolio' of the Tech Report recs. Using them as a reference, below are my comments and recommendations, and I will try to minimize their length.

1. The Editor's choice provides a cpu that has Intel Graphics 4000 which may or may not be more acceptable than your graphics card. The Sweet Spot choice provides Intel Graphics 2500 which I assume is 'less capable' than Intel Graphics 4000.

2. The Econobox has a Sandy Bridge cpu and is not a PCIe 3.0 system either with the cpu or the mobo. -- said differently, somewhat older technology.

3. The Econobox is the only 'build' that is not Ivy Bridge technology. By not being pcie 3.0 ready, this means new components that are pci3 3.0 will not work, but if they do, they will only work at pcie 2.0 feature level.

4. Cost of the Editor's Choice cpu, mobo and psu is $ 517; Sweet Spot is $ 410; Econobox is $ 269.

My recommendation is to use the psu, motherboard and cpu choices (or something close to each of these) of the Editor's Choice list. While the cpu, motherboard and psu cost is about $ 210 more than you specified, there is some 'component futureproof' to the build. Most important Ivy Bridge cpu is used which represents Intel latest technology. The technology will keep changing over the next several years; saw something that indicates spacing of 10 nanometers coming in three or four years (14 nanometer spacing before that). All of this means more transistors at the same operating frequency plus a lot of new pcie 3.0 features to the pcie stuff -- ever advancing technology.

If not the Editor's Choice cpu, mobo, psu list, then the Sweet Spot choice but it has Intel Graphics 2500. I would opt for the better Intel Graphics 4000, therefore, Editors choice.

5. The Power supply. TR shows prices between apx $ 60 to $ 129 depending on output and manufacturer. The power supply needs to have short circuit protection within a reasonable range of the actual wattage being used. Low cost single rail designs, generally, lumps the individual currents (amps) thru each component all together, and the mfg comes up with a max Over Current Protection value (OCP). If the currents total to a high number and only one OCP value is used, it is generally high and in my opinion not the best or the safest design. Where the currents for individual components total a large number, there should be multiple +12 volt rails so the 'individual' relative high current components have a OCP value close to the max current of the component.

The above psu comments may sound like 'techno babble' but it is actually quite simple to understand given some simple diagrams and a more detail explanation. My ultimate point here is that a good power supply provides protection circuits that have OCP trip points close to the max value of the current (amps) thru the individual components. Inherently such a psu design is a little more complicated but there is better protection.

6. My comments are mainly centered on the cpu and motherboard. Depending on what you say about these comments, I can research the psu in more detail and come up with a recommendation that fits the build. More than likely an Antec supply that has at least two or three +12 volt rails.
-----------------
EDIT: The Intel Graphics, particularly the 4000 edition, at some point has to have a certain degree of 'acceptability' and 'usefulness'. Your friend's application seems to apply.

chunkylover53
06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Good advice, thanks guys. I went through TR and I am leaning towards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as usual!

RickyTick
06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
All excellent choices.