PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy my friend's old rig or build my own?

lofemofe
06-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi guys I'm looking to get a new desktop computer that will be able to run 2 monitors for work productivity as well as play some games (namely Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3). I would also want this computer to be always hooked up to my big screen TV and act as a HTPC. I am trying to figure out if I should build my own rig or just buy a friend's old rig.

I don't want to break the bank to do this. A friend of mine has offered me his old custom built desktop + extras at a price of $400 which includes an older Benq 24" monitor, a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard and a gaming mouse. I need all these extra components for my PC anyways so I have valued the extras at $175 dollars which means I would be getting the rig for about $225. So here is the $225 rig my friend is trying to sell me.

Intel Core 2 q6700 @ 2.66 Ghz
EVGA 680i Motherboard
4 GB Ram Mushkin Brand (996587)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 Ultra
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (SB0090)
Gigabyte Chasis 3D Aurora Case
Blu-Ray
Seagate 7200 RPM 250 GB Hard Drive (ST3250823AS)

The components seem a little outdated but the overall value of the package seems decent. Would this rig be able to do everything I need it to? If this rig doesn't play today's games can it at least be upgrade easy enough? Would I be better off building something brand new rig or just take friends old rig off him?

RickyTick
06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
That's a nice system, just rather outdated. It's worth $400 easily. In order to play the newer games you'll need to upgrade the video card. What power supply does it have?

If you decide to buy this rig, I would suggest buying a new hard drive and installing Windows 7.

If it were me, I would build a new system and maybe reuse the case, monitor, mouse, and keyboard.