PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing my first build

stoliver
05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello, I am looking for some advice from some of the more computer savvy people out there. I currently have a Dell Dimension E520. It has Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 4 gig RAM and a Radeon HD5700 video card. It has worked fine for what I needed it for in the past (mostly WOW). Now the games are getting a little more heavy and the game I really want to play, GW2, is close to being released.

I am looking at some barebones kits as I am on a relatively tight budget. What I am looking for is input about this kit -
ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Thermaltake Barebones Kit - ASUS M5A78L-M LX Board, AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, CPU Cooler, Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM Kit, 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower, 450W Power Supply.

Will this be a significant upgrade from my current system and will I get a good FPS on a high setting with a game like GW2?

Mainly curious about what you think of the MOBO and processor. Those are the two items that are a real question mark to me as I am not overly familiar with all the different styles.

Thanks

Bkdod
05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
You did not mention which video card to put in your new PC unless you get a new video card too I don't think you are going to see that much a difference. Consider at least Geforce 560 or Radeon 6870. http://www.whichgraphicscard.com

stoliver
05-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that my video card budget would be determined by the cost of my kit. The ones you listed fall within my range. I figured I would spend around $150 on a card. What are your thoughts on the MOBO and the processor. If I am reading it right, that processor is comparable to an i5. Is that correct ?