PDA

View Full Version : Case review: Antec Three Hundred Two

bighoo93
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
I used the Antec Three Hundred Two case in my latest build (http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?4640-Second-build-completed), and I'm writing this review based on my experience and observations with it. This is a well-known case line, so there are lots of expert/professional reviews that cover the specs, etc. For example, I thought this one by Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5462/antec-three-hundred-two-stay-cool-budget-enthusiasts) was helpful. So I don't plan to touch on the specs, which you can learn by reading the manual or any of these professional reviews. I will discuss my experience with it as an amateur builder, and compare it to my only other PC build experience (http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?1550-Success!-With-a-few-temporary-snags), which was with the Antec Sonata III (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024) case. I think this may be useful for people who are not building on a daily, weekly, monthly or even annual basis.

My first build was using the Antec Sonata III case, and part of my reason for going with the Antec Three Hundred Two (I'll call it the 302 from now on) was just to try something different. But I also wanted to consider a case with more ventilation and better cable management (again related to ventilation/air flow). I don't plan to run a high-power system overclocked within an inch of its life, but I still believe that cooler components run better and last longer, so ventilation is important for any system. I also wanted to consider a different PSU than the one that is provided with the Sonata (even though it should be fine for my purposes). Buying the case and PSU on sale, the price is at least as good as for a reasonably-priced Sonata III (if you hold out you can get it for $100, but $120-130 is more typical).

The case certainly met or perhaps exceeded my expectations. It is really all about airflow, with vents, fans or both on every side of the case including the top and bottom. This was a stark contrast with the Sonata III, which had a single exhaust fan out the rear (plus the PSU). I didn't have huge problems with temperature in the Sonata, but I never was pushing it either. With so much ventilation in the 302, the inside of the case is likely to rapidly equilibrate with the ambient temperature. I guess I knew it was supposed to be like that, but seeing it in person brought it home. The ventilation and cooling is extremely impressive, and even someone as fearful of overclocking as I am is likely to crank it up a little because of this. I have overclocked my CPU (i7-2600K) to 4.2 GHz. Using the Core Temp application (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/), the overclocked cores run at around 35 degrees C (not under stress). Of course, some of this has to do with the CPU cooler (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065)), but it is performing in this case.

The cable management was also a huge step up. There is a small compartment to "stuff" extra PSU cables and to route other connectors to the motherboard so that you don't have a big gnarled mess of wires sitting in the middle of your case. Everything tucks away nicely and you are left with a clean, open and airy main compartment that allow free air flow. Both for practical purposes and sheer aesthetics, I really liked this and consider it a significant upgrade to the Sonata III. It was really pretty easy to work around the 302 and to route the cables.

The 302 is also bigger, which has some positives. I think it provides for better airflow and cooling. Also, with its width you can easily fit a large CPU cooler (like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus that I used). Although I do not have a video card in installed, the depth of the case would allow for even the longest card to fit. The Sonata III is smaller (not sure if it is narrower) and could have difficulty with some components. Update: I just installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus in the Sonata III. It fits easily. However, getting back in the case reminded me just how much more cramped the space is, both in terms of size and cables. Big difference.

Completely tool-less installation of drives is very nice in the 302. The Sonata III also had relatively simple drive installation, but it did require screwing in the brackets on the drives. Not a big deal either, but this was just a little bit simpler.

On the downside, the rear exhaust case fan came installed on the 302 in an orientation that made it impossible to make the 3-pin connection to the motherboard. This caused me more trouble than it needed to, until I realized that I could take the fan out and re-install it rotated 90 degrees, and suddenly the wire could reach perfectly. There is also a cost to all the ventilation: noise. Even with the two exhaust fans turned to their low setting, the noise is considerable by comparison to the Sonata. This should be expected, since the Sonata only has one opening and it is on the back, but it was quite noticeable. I don't know if it will bother me or not, it isn't a terrible sound, just typical whirring fan sounds. And people who are used to a case with multiple fans and vents might think nothing of it. But the Sonata really was close to silent, so I have to give it the edge there. Since the cooling is so good with the 302, I tried turning off/removing the top exhaust fan to cut down on noise. I didn't notice any difference in noise, so apparently it is not the top exhaust fan that is making most of the noise. I may experiment further sometime, but the bottom line remains: this is far from a silent case.

Also, the Sonata has a smaller footprint. I noted some of the disadvantages of that above, but it is always nice for something to take up less space. I store my unit in an open cabinet, so there is a height (and depth) restriction. Both cases fit OK, but the 302 is a tighter squeeze, and the top fan doesn't have much room to exhaust. The Sonata III also has a lockable door to access the power button and drives, which can be a positive or a negative depending on your situation. For anyone with little kids around, the power and reset buttons are just the kind that little ones love to push (i.e., any button they can reach, particularly if a bright blue light responds each time they push it). If you have no need to protect the drives or power button, then this might just get in the way and the 302 would be simpler and more efficient.

Overall, I am torn on which case is better for my purposes. I like the Sonata III for its slightly smaller size and near-silent performance. I like the 302 for its superior ventilation and cable management (and USB 3.0 ports on the front, that will likely be a factor at some point). I'm glad that I tried a new case here and for people building a more substantial system for gaming I think the 302 would be a clear favorite. For a modest system, the Sonata III is still a great choice with some clear advantages for its tradeoffs.