View Full Version : Fans running but no display

agoude
04-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3+
CPU: AMD FX 4100 3.6
PSU: Cooler Master 500W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x 2GB... 4GB Total

Problem: CPU fan boots, graphics card fans boot but no display, no beeps

I've tried everything I can possible think of... I have the motherboard on top of the box it came in w/ both power supply connectors plug in (24 pin & 8 pin). I removed the CPU and fan... removed & re-applied thermal paste and put it back in. Tried 2 different graphics cards, 2 different monitors. Booted w/ no ram, 1 stick and both sticks. Checked all of my connections....

Like I said the fans run and continue to run but nothing on the display...

zburns
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I looked at your mobo picture on Gigabyte spec page. You have an 8 pin cpu power connector in the upper right corner about 1" (inch) in from the top most rear connectors. There should be a power plug from the psu that you plug in here for CPU power. Whatever, you plug in has to match that plug on the mobo and has to come from the psu. Since your mobo was made with the AMD cpu 'in mind', that plug should be there.

Obviously, if you have already plugged it in, then you are ahead of my comment. But not plugging this plug in is a common cause of 'nothing' on the display -- cpu not running.

My first para should be 'correct'. If not, post back and tell me what I am saying in the post that does not fit your situation right now.

agoude
04-15-2012, 05:54 PM
I looked at your mobo picture on Gigabyte spec page. You have an 8 pin cpu power connector in the upper right corner about 1" (inch) in from the top most rear connectors. There should be a power plug from the psu that you plug in here for CPU power. Whatever, you plug in has to match that plug on the mobo and has to come from the psu. Since your mobo was made with the AMD cpu 'in mind', that plug should be there.

Obviously, if you have already plugged it in, then you are ahead of my comment. But not plugging this plug in is a common cause of 'nothing' on the display -- cpu not running.

My first para should be 'correct'. If not, post back and tell me what I am saying in the post that does not fit your situation right now.

Yea I already have that plugged in

zburns
04-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry, but you caught me at a bad time. Questions: 1. Are you following Rob's instructions 'to the letter'? 2. Are you following his 'Online Assembly Instructions'? 3. Assuming you have followed Rob's online instructions, exactly where are you, instruction wise?

Other questions: Did you use a static control wrist strap at all times? In as few words as possible, give me a 1,2 . . ,3 list of what you have done since 'you could not get a display'?

Graphics Card, what kind? I have your list you posted, anything else component wise you did not mention?

What is your schedule tomorrow?

It would help if you answered all these questions before you go to work in the morning.

zburns
04-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Give me the answers tonight if possible; I did just see that you are in First Boot, so that answers some of my questions and tells me where you are. I hope this is for naught, and, you are already 'back on track'.

agoude
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Sorry, but you caught me at a bad time. Questions: 1. Are you following Rob's instructions 'to the letter'? 2. Are you following his 'Online Assembly Instructions'? 3. Assuming you have followed Rob's online instructions, exactly where are you, instruction wise?

Other questions: Did you use a static control wrist strap at all times? In as few words as possible, give me a 1,2 . . ,3 list of what you have done since 'you could not get a display'?

Graphics Card, what kind? I have your list you posted, anything else component wise you did not mention?

What is your schedule tomorrow?

It would help if you answered all these questions before you go to work in the morning.

Sorry for the slow response... The wife said I had to stop playing around and get some stuff done after spending my whole Sunday messing with this. Im not sure of the instructions u r referencing but I basically followed the tutorial off of neweggs site on how to build. I set the MOBO on top of the box it came in and constantly grounded myself with the metal on the case. Installed CPU and fan, memory, psu, graphics, monitor. Tried to boot w/ one stick ram, no ram... In the case afterwards. Tried a different graphics card and monitor.... Im thinking BIOS issue? I dont know anyone w/ an older amd cpu to test tho. Dnt have a buzzer either. Monitoring responses tonight if u can help

RickyTick
04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Any chance you could take some pictures of what you've done already, especially the connections?
Have you installed the hard drive?

agoude
04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Any chance you could take some pictures of what you've done already, especially the connections?
Have you installed the hard drive?

I will try and get those pics up... I have the hard drive and dvd drive hooked up in the case... Tried to boot with and without

zburns
04-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Can you give us an update? Hope you have made some progress!

Bryon
04-18-2012, 02:05 AM
So your Mobo is sitting on the box it came in? Possibly grounding issues.

Try your GPU in both PCI slots.

Bryon

Bryon
04-18-2012, 02:06 AM
So your Mobo is sitting on the box it came in? Possibly grounding issues.

Try your GPU in both PCI slots.

Bryon

zburns
04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Hey Bryon,

Glad to see you back on the forum! I hope you finally got all your parts and the new build has worked out ok!

Bryon
04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks, I have been really busy with the end of the semester stuff.

I have posted in my thread a view times but it is not showing up for some reason.

Not to hijack but a small update:

New CPU worked fine on default settings for about 10 days then started doing the same old stuff. Its either the PSU or Ram. Honest I am sick of messing with it and if I set the VCore manually the problem stops so Im just gonna leave it like that =]

I on't have enough cash for the HDD or GPU yet so those will be a bit later down the road.