PDA

View Full Version : HDD emergency shutdown? How can I make it turn off properly

inquisitivePC
04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I found the noise that was coming from the HDD when I shut down the system on the internet: (it's at 1:13) It's apparently an emergency shutdown. How can I get it to shutdown properly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWjeWKg4mVA

Thanks.

zburns
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I guess its ok to have a second splash screen? Keyboard and mouse are useable when windows boots up.

Get this fixed first and then see if you still have the HD problem. If you still have it, call Tech Support at Western Digital; they should be able to tell you exactly what it is and then, tell you if you have to replace the drive (it would be under warranty).

You do not know what the 'double keyboard' problem is 'injecting into the system' -- so you fix it and then address the hard drive.

zburns
04-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Ref your Hard Drive: I want to explain better why I suggested you call Western Digital. It is 'electrically possible to stop an electric motor via a special non complicated electrical circuit'. However, I have never heard of this technique being used to 'brake' a Hard Drive from high speed to zero.

However, assume such a circuit was being used. Then it might be possible for a 'noise' to occur during the braking process. But once again, it has never come up ref Hard Drives that I am aware of. I have 'googled' the topic 'well' this morning and cannot find even one mention of such a possibility.

So taking electrical braking out of consideration, this leaves 'the noise you hear' as 'something' coming from the Hard Drive. If this is the case, then the most logical thing to do is to call Western Digital Tech Support. Since the noise is presumably coming from the Hard Drive, and, further assume, it is not supposed to be there! Then the Tech Rep for WDigitial, will immediately tell you that if the noise comes from the drive, then the drive has some 'defect' and should be returned, or, if it is a 'consistent sounding noise', he will tell you if it 'is supposed to be present and why'!

The bottom line of this conversation is that the Hard Drive manufacturer knows 'his' hard drive characteristics better than any of the 'users' of the hard drive, etc., and the manufacturer is the proper 'entity' to tell a user 'what is wrong'.

This is an example of 'where the manufacturer does know best regarding the problem'.

However, the majority of computer problems can best be diagnosed by a knowledgeable user, a local computer tech or knowledgeable folks on a computer forum such as this forum or other forums.