PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard help

robertsmith50
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey Guys and Gals. I just bought a Gateway 4860-UR10P computer. I am going to be upgrading it but can't find any specs on the motherboard. It is a Acer ipisb-vr rev 1.01 MB, and I need to know what type of socket it has, fastest proccessors it can run, whether it has a SATA I, II, or III interface, etc. Anybody know where I can find this info? Or know anything about it off hand. Google gives me lots of hits when I type in the MB, but none of the links provide any real info.Any help would be most appreciated.

robertsmith50
04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah, and need to know form factor. I thinks its some sort of ATX.... maybe a micro ATX but not sure.

zburns
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Robert, welcome to the forums.

Based on the case dimensions, it would seem your motherboard is a Micro ATX, but actually, there are more specs than just ATX or Micro ATX, so you will have to ask GATEWAY to be sure

Here is the only address I could find for Acer in the USA: Acer America Corporation 2641 Orchard Parkway San Jose, CA 95134, USA Ph: 1-408-432-6200 Fx: 1-408-922-2933 . Since Acer supplied GATEWAY with the mobo, the part # on the mobo may be a special part # for Gateway, meaning you will have to call Gateway. If you plan to up date the motherboard, you should ask Gateway about that. You have purchased a 'Budget System' with a 300 watt power supply. You may find it difficult to upgrade.

Looking at the spec on the hard drive, it looks like SATA with 3Gb/s base on the terminology. Here is a link to Intel for the specs on your cpu: http://ark.intel.com/products/53446/Intel-Core-i5-2320-Processor-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz%29
Here is a link to GATEWAY for specs on the computer: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCPP2.017 The Gateway specs are useful up to a point, but if you really want to know the details, you should make a list and ask GATEWAY directly. They are just not forthcoming with their information.

Here is a review and specification by CNet on your computer, and, it has more information than does the Gateway specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4860-ur10p/4507-3118_7-35136753.html?tag=subnav

When you buy parts separately and assemble or 'build' your computer like most forum members do, then every component purchased for the computer has a full set of specs available from the component manufacturer. In your case GATEWAY is the manufacturer, and their suppliers provide components based on SPECS Gateway requires or suggests based on feedback from the various manufacturers concerned. You purchased a fully assembled computer, not specific components, so you have to go to GATEWAY and get component specs from them over and above what they have already provided.

EDIT: Regarding ATX specification, the CNet Spec listing where it says 'Form Factor' simply says the word 'Tower'; nowhere else on either spec sheet did I see the letters 'ATX' . Here again you have to ask GATEWAY directly if your computer is ATX or micro ATX form factor or NOT! Did whomever you purchased it from 'represent' to you that it was ATX ?
---------------------------
You are welcome to ask any other questions, but when it comes to knowing the 'details' on your components, it really seems you have to get any additional info direct from GATEWAY.
----------------------------
For general use and light gaming, you should be happy with the purchase. I would not advise trying to upgrade any component. You have a fast processor, a decent amount of RAM and a 'huge' HD. Your graphics is Intel 2000. It is a reasonable set of specs for a basic budget system. Almost forgot! From your processor Intel spec sheet, the socket type is LGA 1155.

robertsmith50
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your help. Gateway was completely useless. Their response was we don't recommend any upgrades to this system at this time. LOL. I did find most of what I needed from the Speccy app I downloaded. Now I'm thinking about just swapping out the processor (an i5) with an i7-2600 since my motherboard has a SATA III controller. I will be changing the power supply as well. If the case does not hold the MB (it will work for ANY ATX board), I have already picked out a new MB, and that will basically give me two working computers minus a optical drive to give my kid.