PDA

View Full Version : Where Is the Tutorial To Build Old School Systems With Affordable Parts?

oldisgold
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
New tech is not that good these days. Most fresh builds last just a few years and need replacement due to planned obsolescence. That's because mega machines with all the bells and whistles run too hot, overheat, burn out and don't last long. And if you're a gamer, add that to the fact that the heyday of video gaming was in the mid 90s to 2005 time frame and most newer games suck, and it makes more sense to pass on state of the art and buy older parts to build a solid state retro system. Why spend 2 grand and up to build a super PC when modern software offers far less variety and less quality than in the good old days?

RickyTick
03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
hogwash

oldisgold
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
hogwash

Sorry, not gonna shell out thousands to build a rig for spy software, war games or fantasy RPGs. Old is gold, new is goo!

Bryon
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I can slightly agree with planned failure of parts. Things are built to fail. If you pick high quality parts and build it correctly, It can last you years though. Newer is better in my opinion.

Bryon

RickyTick
03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
"Built to Fail" and "Planned Obsolescence" are very different things.

Also, there are millions of gamers out there playing the latest games with desktops more than 5 years old. Furthermore, you can easily build an econo-box gaming rig for well under $1k and play all the latest games.

That's because mega machines with all the bells and whistles run too hot, overheat, burn out and don't last long.
Really? Where? Which ones? I don't see it.

But hey, if you want to shop around ebay and find some old Pentiums or Athlons and go play Doom or something, than go for it.