PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an onboard video chipset?

mathguy196
03-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi-

I have picked out a CPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072) and a motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506) for my first custom computer build. The CPU has onboard graphics (Intel HD Graphics - until I buy a video card), and the motherboard has no onboard video chipset. Does this mean I need to get a video card to have a working screen or will the CPU do that?

I am such a noob.

Thanks again!

Bryon
03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Your CPU link also brings me to the Mobo.

Your Mobo has a DVI port, It would seem pointless to have one of those if you couldn't hook a monitor up too it. If your CPU has onboard graphics I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Be sure to check with one of the "senior" members before you act on that, I can be wrong =]

Edit:

Even though it says it has no onboard video, in reviews, people say that it does, however be careful of things like this, I have seen a few pople post about it.

Not compatible with many Viewsonic LCDs

Bryon

zburns
03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Byron is right. I will add some specifics. Look up the Intel specs for the cpu by the INtel part or cat # of the cpu, ie i7 2600k or i5 2500, etc. -- has to be an Intel spec page. On this spec page for the cat # item you want, Integrated Graphics will be listed or it will not be listed depending on the part #.

If you have integrated cpu graphics and you 'definitely want that feature', your mobo should 'support' integrated graphics, and the 'list of features of the mobo' will tell you that the mobo 'supports' integrated graphics. In addition to the features list, the mobo on the motherboard home site of the manufacturer, ie Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc., one section of the 'mfgs product page for the mobo' will be devoted to 'Specifications'. Click on 'Specifications'; if the mobo is supposed to have 'integrated graphics' it will be listed in the specification page or listing.

It does not matter what 'component' you purchase, if it cost even a small amount of dollars, the manufacturer absolutely has to spell out for the purchaser exactly what the 'specifications' for the product include. The 'feature' you want to know about, if included will be in the specifications; if it is not included, it will simply be absent from the spec listing.

mathguy196
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
I guess what I am asking is can I plug in a monitor to this motherboard and have it put something on the screen?

I checked to see if the motherboard supported Intel HD Graphics 3000, and it does.

Bryon
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Then yes, if it supports it you can plug a monitor in an something will show up on the screen =]

Bryon

zburns
03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
mathguy196,

Here is an Intel link to a very informative page on Intel Graphics and I think your question will be answered here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031174.htm
------------
Later post:

This is an interesting situation in 'sorting out a confusing question using an Intel cpu and an Intel mobo'. First go to the link just above. Click on it, and on the Intel page you get, entitled: Processors. Scroll down to the 'third para', first line that's entitled: Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processors that include Intel HD Graphics --click on this line and you get a second page entitled 'Processors' and below is a chart of i7 processors. Go down to i7 2600k and click on the 'i7 2600k box'. This brings up the Specification page of the i7-2600k cpu. Look to the left column of 'click ons', then click on Block Diagrams. This gives you a block diagram picture of not only the cpu but the Platform Controller Hub which is in effect the Intel chipset for the motherboard - but I am not sure they tell you that.

For a separate check, go to Newegg for your motherboard part #, the 'Details' page shows 'On Board Video Chipset' as None. Yet the front Newegg page for your motherboard shows the following: 'Dual independent display for processors with Intel HD Graphics'
---------
The above is one of the most confusing mix ups I have run across. One reason I really like Newegg, is that there presentation for each catalog item is so well organized and 'clear cut' -- not so this time. Going thru Intel's online documentation is no easy task either!!

Last comment on the above. Your 'click on' for cpu in your first post does not work -- you get the mobo on both clicks, cpu and mobo click ons! For my comments I just had to pick a cpu, but you are using HD 3000 graphics and that is common to more than the i7 2600k.

mathguy196
03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
The CPU link is now working, and I found the page you directed me to: http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-(6M-Cache-3_30-GHz)