PDA

View Full Version : Cannot enter BIOS or boot

willginvents
03-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi,

I have built a PC using the listed components (mysuperpc.com), but the system will not boot. I have asked for assistance from MSI and had some advice from the MSI forum, which included replacing the MB, which I have done, however I cannot resolve this problem.

MB - MSI P67A GD65 (B3)
Processor - Intel i5-2500K
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 4gb 333 unbuffered
HD - Corsair Force GT 60gb (CSSD-F60GBGT-BK R), WD 1.5T (WD WD1502FAEX)
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 1GB DDR5
PSU - Antec Sonata 3 case with specs below:

80 PLUS® Bronze certified
ATX12V version 2.3
Universal Input
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
Dual +12V output circuits
80 mm low noise cooling fan
Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits, over voltage, and over current
8(4+4)-pin ATX12V/EPS12V connector for CPU
1 x 8(6+2)-pin and 1 x 6-pin PCI-E connectors

+5V 24.0A ±5% 36A
+12V1 22.0A ±5% 27A
+12V2 22.0A ±5% 27A
-12V 0.8A ±10%
+5VSB 2.5A ±5%
+3.3V 24.0A ±5% 36A

I am unable to get into the Bios menu completely, although if I reset the CMOS I am able to enter the pre-Bios page. This page successfully displays the components connected to the system, including the hard drives and states 'all settings were reset to default values, press F1 to run setup, press F2 to Continue'. If I press F2 this system returns a blank screen.

If I have not reset the CMOS, after powering-on the system will display an initial page stating that no hard disks are detected and a cursur just appears in the top left and 'A3' in the bottom right - I am informed this means the system has POSTed without any problems and everything should therefore be fine.

Having replaced the MB under advice from MSI I do believe that keyboard inputs now work, which was not the case before, however, I cannot enter the BIOS to make configuration changes in order to boot the system. Could it be that both RAM chips are faulty?

What's happening here, please help!

zburns
03-06-2012, 07:39 AM
My answer to your problem will be a little unusual. Here is a link to a previous 3 page Thread, started with the name Jane Doe then another forum member, 'kiranatwo', had the same problem, and the same solution as Jane Doe . Here is the link: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?4505-First-Boot-Problem-(What-else-) .

The problem in both cases turned out to be the RAM. Jane Doe had local help and replaced the RAM with Kingston memory. 'kiranatwo' brought the Jane Doe solution to the forums attention, I wound up getting him some part #s for Kingston RAM. He ordered it, and , problem solved. It has not been resolved yet as to what the problem is regards the brand of RAM. I think it is probably the latency timings of the RAM. The Kingston is DDR3 as is the Crucial, however, the Kingston timings are higher (a tad slower) than Crucial.

Rob did correct the Crucial Part # wrt the latency timings. My suggestion is that you post back your Crucial Part #s, let me look at them, I will call Crucial, see if I can find out anything significant. After I post this, I will hunt down the Kingston numbers given to 'kiranatwo' , and, you can elect to get the Kingston or replace the Crucial with Crucial.

Regardless please read the three pages of the Jane Doe 'Thread'; access via the link above. The post by 'kiranatwo' at the bottom of the Jane Doe first page is where you want to start. Everything above that post on the first page is irrelevant to the problem you describe. Jane Doe also had MSI mobo.

You can scan thru all three pages very quickly and the information hopefully will be reassuring to you!!

zburns
03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
willginvents:

I should have realized the following this morning; I was instead concentrating on the RAM aspect. The link in the above post which is a forum site, JaneDoe308 is the member, and the symptoms she describes are very similar to yours and she has the same motherboard and cpu as you do; Kiranatwo has the same mobo and cpu -- and a closely 'same' problem as you do.

So I would say if is a reasonable assumption that both their problems and yours are the same; solution is the same. Replace the existing Crucial RAM. Both these other forum members replaced their RAM with Kingston RAM. Below are links to Newegg for the RAM in two different colors RED and BLUE; both have heat spreaders on them. On the PDF data sheets below, you will find the specs identical. Part numbers differ by the 'inclusion of the letter 'R' in the part # for the RED color; otherwise everything seems identical for the blue or red sticks. I would recommend you buy the more expensive if you decide to use Kingston in lieu of Crucial. Do not hesitate to ask any questions!!

Here are the two Newegg links for the two different items: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3C9D3B1K2%2f8G
and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C9D3B1RK2%2f8G

Here are PDF data sheets describing both memory sticks completely: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/K...D3B1RK2_8G.pdf and http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/K...9D3B1K2_8G.pdf

willginvents
03-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks very much for your advice zburns! This forum is a lot more useful than MSIs!

This does seem to make absolute sense and will be switching the RAM as suggested. It's odd because Crucial are still claiming that this RAM should be compatible, despite my comments that three people are having the same problem. Since I can't readily get a refund, although I didn't ask to be fair, I just exchanged/upgraded to the higher specification Crucial 8 gb similar to that now recommended by Rob on mysuperpc.com. Whilst I bought most of the kit from Newegg in the US, I actually bought the RAM in the UK - where I now live, so this just seemed easier. The RAM is '8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix Smart Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs), DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module' with a latency of 8-8-8-24, so they same as that on Rob's site.

It's odd, because I'm sure I saw Jane Doe's original post back in December/January before I'd bought the components and was researching potential problems, but for some reason completely forgot the outcome - when I read her post I thought I had written it!

zburns
03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
It seems clear that with three or four 'builds' that we are aware of thru this forum, that the RAM latency timings are the problem. I would however, point out, that the Jane Doe and Kiranatwo 'builds' both had the same motherboard as you do. So from a 'very simple analysis' point of view, this specific mobo may be at fault and may require 'slower timings' as in 9-9-9-9. The Kingston RAM that Jane Doe and Kiranatwo are both using now on the same mobo you have has 9-9-9-9 timings.

So it is 'undetermined' as to the real cause of the problem. Please post your results with this new Crucial RAM asap!

willginvents
03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I can confirm that the replacement 8-8-8-24 latency Crucial RAM does enable me to get into the BIOS, so the problem appears to be solved! I don't know enough about RAM to understand why this RAM has a poorer latency, but is in fact higher specification in terms of memory clock frequency, being a DDR3-1600 as opposed to a DDR-1333 which was installed before. The cost was almost the same.

I haven't managed to progress to making BIOS setting changes and enabling a boot (I believe I need to make a few changes to the set-up and intend to boot from the SSD drive), since I've been too busy with something else, but hopefully I shouldn't haven't any problems.

Thanks for your help!

zburns
03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, glad you got things fixed. I am also glad to hear that the Crucial RAM worked. Remember that up to three others with the same MCI motherboard have already had the problem. At least, two of these forum members used Kingston memory to fix things. You are the first to stay with the Crucial; it does not surprise me that the Crucial worked. Most of the time problems with a build are somewhat obvious. This time, a common factor is the motherboard; I do not think any of us are blaming the motherboard. Hopefully, there will be a 'clear' answer.

Anyhow, glad you appear to be okay!!