PDA

View Full Version : First Boot Failure (suspected damaged cpu)

Chopinson
03-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Hello,

I am building my own pc for the first time. I got the cpu, ram, and graphics card on the mobo, and then failed the test boot. Graphics card and cpu fans are both spinning, but monitor shows "no signal". I start to get morbidly scared that I might have ruined the cpu during installation, because the heatsink doesn't feel hotter after I left it on intentionally for a couple of minutes, and neither does the cpu make any noise at all. Now when installing the heatsink I did have to apply some pressure since one of the retention bracket's corner would pop up even when the opposite corner is the slightest bit engaged. Any thoughts on how I can check whether I indeed have a bad cpu? Thanks very much!

zburns
03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
In order to help you, we need the motherboard part number and the cpu part #. Without knowing exactly what mobo and cpu are being installed, I or anyone would have to give generic advice and that is a bad idea.

Chopinson
03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
In order to help you, we need the motherboard part number and the cpu part #.

The mobo is Biostar H61MGC, processor Intel Core i5 2500.

zburns
03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks, I will try to pull up your manual on line in order to see a pic of the cpu area, latch mechanism, and their instructions which (I hope) will guide 'the way I comment back to you'.

zburns
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
The biostar manual has minimal data for what I was looking for. The intel processor came in a sealed box. Inside the box is a small intel instruction pamplett. Give me the exact 'labeling' on the front of the pamplett --the title of the pamplett. I should be able to pull that up on line.

Chopinson
03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Give me the exact 'labeling' on the front of the pamplett --the title of the pamplett.

On the cover of the pamphlet it just says "Intel Core i5 Processor", and all it contains is illustrated installation instructions and warranty info.

zburns
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
I will be back with you shortly, the Intel Core i5 Processor booklet was not much help. I will look at reviews on the i5 to find what I want! Hopefully not long!

zburns
03-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I had a semi good review with pictures of the mobo, cpu, frame raised and then closed, etc., but I managed to lose it all by hitting the wrong key. Not really finding what I want yet. However, based on the pictures I was just looking at, I will go ahead and ask you a few questions.

1. Task # 1. Orient your motherboard or 'your vision' so that the lever is on your right and the two hinges that couple the frame to the mobo are farthest away (two hinges in a straight line across your vision, lever pivot point at the back right hand hinge area.

Raise the hinged frame up to about 30 degrees. Position your eyes so that your vision is 'skimming' the top of the frame. You are looking at the narrow front edge of the frame. If you position your eyes correctly, you should be able to see the entire top surface of the frame as a 'straight line'. -- what I am really asking, is there any 'warp' to the frame when there is no tension on it.

2. Task # 2. Next, if you look up under the frame, is each inside corner the same as the other corners?

3. Task # 3. Same eye orientation as in Task # 1. (Again, I am going from memory with this next question) Again, orientation is with both hinges to the rear in a straight line across your vision. The front left corner of the socket on the motherboard has a 45 degree cut across the corner, which the other right front corner does not have, correct?

Go ahead and give these questions a try. Keep the response as short as possible. If I have a problem understanding you, I will be right back with a question.

zburns
03-03-2012, 02:12 PM
What I call the rear of the cpu, has two 'half moon' positioning holes on the left and right side (a half hole on each side) of the cpu about 1/2" along each side from the rear corners (hinge area both left side and right side).

The black plastic socket mounted to the mother board has two posts, half moon shape on the top of the posts -- one post on the right side 1/2" from the rear and a similar one on the left, 1/2" from left rear. These match up with the half moon cutouts on the cpu circuit card.

zburns
03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Look at the pins that stick up from the flat base of the socket mounted to the motherboard. Use a magnifying glass if necessary. They should present 100 % over the entire area, a symetrical appearance with respect to each other and to the pattern that all the pins 'make up'. If a pin is bent even slightly, it should easily be obvious.

If you just scan the pins using a mag glass, even if one pin is 'out of order' in some way (bent), you would see it.

Chopinson
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Go ahead and give these questions a try.

I took a look all around there doesn't seem to be any deformation at all. I also realized that closing the socket would naturally apply quite a bit of pressure on the cpu anyway so damage may not be a concern after all. I think I may simply have a defective cpu.

Bryon
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Well the i5 2500 has: Intel HD Graphics 2000

Try leaving the GPU off and plugging your monitor into your motherboard. See if that works, also give your cables a double check, make sure your CPU power is plugged in. It would be a white 4pin connector at the top of your mobo.

Bryon