PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Arc Upon Hitting Power Switch

NeedHelp711
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
I am getting an electrical arc/ spark when i hit the power supply button. Not the computer on button but the one on the back of the power supply. It is a barebones kit so it has the motherboards I/O plate. The exact location is at the RJ45 ethernet outlet. The arc is occurring where the small ears on the I/O plate that are supposed to be for grounding or what the motherboard manufacturer told me is just for adding pressure to the I/O ports. Its those ears that you bend out on the I/O plate that comes with a motherboard. I have pics but dont have them posted on a URL so cant do that. Help needed please.http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q505/doonyloony555/P1291708.jpg

zburns
02-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I am looking at the outside of the back of the case correct? I see a thumb drive plugged in and the 'bent out ears' touching the thumb drive. On the back of my case, my 'ears' are bent inward and contact the mobo, I presume.

The terms adding pressure to the I\O plate imply that the ears are to be bent inward. Think about your conversation with the mfg.and exactly what they told you; call them back if necessary.

EDIT: My back plate came with my Asus mobo, and the little tabs we are talking about were already 'stamped' with an angle to them and they do go inward. Honestly, until I saw your post, I never even looked at them.

Was your PSU purchased separately of as a 'component' of a full build of components. Does the psu have a mfgs name and part # on it?

NeedHelp711
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Actually i saw the arc before i plugged in that usb. When i first put the BB together, i did not have the usb stick in. When i went to hit the psu switch i saw what later turned out to be the arc but i was like...did i just see that? or was it just some lighting from the room. I told myself i did not see it that first time. Wishfull thinking. Heres some background: bought bare bones kit online. MOBO CPU, HDD, Ram, Case with PSU included. Put it together, also used static strap. Could not install Windows 7-got blue screen of death. Windows vista business would not recognize HDD. Called seller they were cool enough to exchange mobo and cpu. reinstall new mobo cpu. And i am now at the point of seeing this spark issue. Tried to talk to seller to exchange my case but they said its best to just to try mobo and cpu first so that we know what was giving me problems. I tried to tell him it would be prudent to just exchange case before installing new mobo and cpu. Hope the case is not the root problem. If so they might have to switch out mobo and cpu a second time + case. I know i dont want to be exchanging parts smuch but i paid full price for this stuff and expect trouble free items. By the way i appreciate your suggestions. its all barebones with everything seperate brands. Another thing is im the carefull type and put together the items carefully the first and second time and not just throwing things together making sure mobo did not touch case while going in. also used standoffs.

zburns
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Try bending the tabs inward to that they touch and put slight pressure on the mobo plugs that line up with the I/O panel. Particularly the RJ 45 female connector (s).

If you feel comfortable doing this, remove the psu from the case, open up the psu enclosure by removing 'an obvious top cover', etc.. Look inside for evidence that a 'green ground wire' is intentionally attached to the metal framework of the psu housing that all the components are attached to. There will probably be only ONE such green wire attached to the housing (only one to prevent what is called a 'ground loop'). When you do this do not alter anything at all, you are just looking.

Do not make or do anything inside the psu housing that 'alters the present configuration'.

The arc sounds like a electrostatic discharge (a momentary transient voltage) occuring during the psu 'turn on' electrical circuit -- even if this is 'what it is', I am not comfortable saying this is an 'anyway' normal operation for a ATX power supply.

Before you do any of the above, look at the mobo mounted RJ 45 female connector; make sure there is a metal surface where the 'bent tab' will touch the RJ 45 female plug.

------------

You also need to provide a full list of the components part # or cat #s and the name of each manufacturer of each component. This is so we can use the internet to see exactly who made the component, look at reviews, etc..