PDA

View Full Version : New Build

clintster442
01-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey guys and gals. I am in the starting process of building my first PC and I know I'll have bumps along the way so I thought I would join on here for some tips, tricks, and help.

PC will by a total multi-tasker; gaming like C2, BF3, Skyrim, MW3, pretty graphic intensive stuff. Also quite a bit of photo, music, and video editing with some CAD mixed in. A lot of multi-tasking.

So far I have just picked up the basics, an Antec Nine hundred Two v3 case and a Kingwin LZG-1000 Modular PSU.

I am still debating on the heart of my beast but I am leaning towards the new AMD FX Black Octocore processor. My nickname is "Overkill" so I will likely get the 8150 Liquid Cooled Kit when it drops from AMD. It includes an FX branded Antec Kuhler 920 which allows for a 4.8Ghz OC out of the box (so they claim). I would pair it up with an ASUS Crosshair V Formula mobo.

The mobo is DDR3 dual channel with a 32GB capacity so I might as well just run 32GB (why not, right?) It's stupid overkill (see above) but it surely can't hurt. I was looking at Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 1600 because they are easily overclockable. These can reach 1866 pretty easily without increasing voltage or relaxing the timings.

The video cards is where I am still completely undecided. I have been looking at getting a pair of XFX Radeon HD 6950's and flashing them up to the 6970 bios then using the Crossfire bridge. I run (3) 24" HD monitors so the AMD Eyefinity on the 6870's and up looks cool. I'll build a new PC before I replace my monitors again so I'm not really too worried about 3D.

Cooling is my main concern. My PC goes into an enclosure in my desk and it can get hot in there. I leave the door open when it's running and my temps on my current Core2Q9450 OC'd to 2.88GHz stay under 40°C on all cores but I know the FX OC'd will make a lot of heat. Will the water cooler kit be suffiecient or should I look at some additional cooling options?

I'll run Win 7 Ult 64 for the moment with Arch Linux on a seperate partition just for screwing around. I am working on building my own OS from scratch and it's coming along.

There are certainly unbalanced components above (ie: meemory compared to GPU) but I don't see any bottlenecks that I can tell. The PC will be way more than I could ever need but that's the fun part to me. Who knows, maybe I'll get a liquid nitro kit and see if I can hit 8.0Ghz. :0

Thanks for the feedback guys.

zburns
01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Clintster, Welcome to the forums!!

Your post is, I think, in the wrong place. It needs to be in the 'Build Your Own PC' at the top of the forum page. One of the moderators will move it to the top soon. Likewise, someone will comment soon, but it may be in the morning. Again - Welcome!!

RickyTick
01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Thread moved.

ARchamps
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
You were not kidding when you said overkill. :p

Why not get the new 7000 series AMD cards? According to benchmarks, they perform really well and don't use a lot of power. The 6950s are great too. For cooling, water cooling should be more than sufficient. I have never used water cooling, so I can't really comment on that front. Everything else looks great, although certainly overkill.

Congrats on building your own OS. Sounds like you know what you are doing!

Good luck!