PDA

View Full Version : Computer goes on for 1-2 seconds, then turns off

Ploxbar
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Alright, so I finally got my computer parts, and finished building today. Not to my surprise, it didn't work. When I turn it on, it remains on for about one or two seconds, then it just shuts off. No beeps. All the fans and the LED lights are working, including the CPU heatsink fan and the PSU fan. I also get no display on my monitor; the light doesn't turn green to show activity. I've taken some steps to try and figure out what is wrong:

Checked PN1/PN2 pins, they were fine.
Held down the reset button on the case, but all it did was keep the system on until I let go - then it shut off again.
Removed the RAM and turned it on, went off after 1-2 seconds.
Removed the GFX card and turned it on, same thing.
Removed the processor and put it back on, same thing again.
Removed the processor completely and turned it on, and to my surprise my system remained on. However, still no display.
I left the GFX card in place, but unplugged it from the PSU. The computer made a loud beep noise when I turned it on, and then went off again.

Here's the specs of my system:

Case - Antec 900
Mobo - Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W
RAM - Corsair XMS2 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM (2x 1GB Dual Channel)
GFX - eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320 MB
HDD - Samsung SpinPoint T Series SATA 400GB 7200 RPM 3GB/s
DVD - LiteOn SATA CD/DVD+/- RW

I'm not sure what is wrong, since this is the first system I've built. Is there anything else I should do? Do any parts seem to be defective? I plan on disassembling the entire thing and reassembling it tomorrow. Any other suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks!

Jamie Nixx
08-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Right, i am going to run you through a number of things to do, and don't worry, its normal for the comp not to boot first time when its just been built ;)

Ok heres what i want you to do, take out 1 stick of ram leaving only one stick in the first slot.

Next, check the CPU cooler, you will notice that it has four pins that push into four points on the mobo, these are very hard to get on, and if they are not on properly the CPU will go into thermal shutdown and the computer will not boot.

Check all your connections.

Failing that, its quite common now to get defective parts, but luckily almost all parts come with warranty.

Let us know what happening after you have reassembled it mate, then we can advise you more :)

Ploxbar
08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
While disassembling, I found out I had forgot to plug in the 4-pin connector that powers the CPU. I installed Windows XP; the computer works now.

However, theres only one more problem I have...I have no Internet connection. I've tried resetting my connection, then connecting straight to my modem instead of through my router, but none work. When I plug in my ethernet cable into my system, theres one solid orange light and another blinking orange light next to it (on the back panel), I don't know what they're supposed to mean. Anybody happen to know how to fix this?

Amosmoses33
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
you need to install the asus board drivers, the cd that came with the mobo....i had the same deal yesterday. it will work after you do that. that tells the ethernet ports to work.