PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

DrivetheGreen66
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm looking at starting a new build for myself in February.

Would you all recommend building around the intel core i7 3820 or waiting for ivy bridge.

Thanks in advance.

zburns
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I thought this review on the 3820 was well worth reading. There are a lot of considerations and I thought the author 'weighed them effectively'. He also has a brief comment on Ivy Bridge, but I do not remember the specifics.

Here is the link: http://pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-Review-Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-E-under-300

Thanks Ricky, not the first time I have left out the link!
-------------
Here is another review by AnandTech, late December: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-review-285-quadcore-sandy-bridge-e
----------

I do not want to get into any comments until I read both reviews several times and get familiar with the differences between the cpus.

RickyTick
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey Z, I don't see a link to a review.

I guess it depends on if you're willing to wait. Ivy Bridge won't be readily available until mid to late April.
If it were me, I'd wait for IB.

DrivetheGreen66
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm wondering the price point for the IB processors, also.

Bryon
01-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Pricing for IB will be the same as the current prices on SB. If this is a gaming build and you are going to buy an aftermarket graphics card anyway IB isnt worth the wait IMO.

Bryon

ARchamps
01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
What do you use your PC for? The i7 3830 is more an enthusiast line (expensive and overkill - SB-E), where Ivy Bridge coming out in April are going to be consumer based - therefore you are comparing Apples and Oranges. I would suggest waiting for Ivy Bridge. The benchmarks over the current Sandy Bridge line (ie. i5 2500k or i7 2700k) don't seem that much better, but the onboard graphics are better, better power consumption and better overclock potential (according to reviews). However, the current Sandy Bridge line is pretty good too. The i5 2500K is probably the best price-performance ratio out there right now, especially for gamers. If you can wait, see what Ivy Bridge has to offer. If not, the Sandy Bridge line is great.

Price wise, the i7 3830 is priced at ~$600 and a X79 motherboard will cost about $300. Ivy Bridge I'm guessing will be around ~$350 and will still run on current P67/Z68 motherboards at ~$200 (not confirmed). Google some reviews and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!