PDA

View Full Version : Not enough USB ports on motherboard

stevemgranger
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm in the process of doing one of your builds. I used a MSI P67A-GD65(B3) motherboard and it only has one USB connection on the board. I used that connection for the USB ports on the front panel of the case. I added the card reader that you had told me to use a Nippon Labs ICR-BB and it uses one USB connection and one SATA connection from the motherboard. The SATA connection is no problem. Where or how do I connect the USB connection? Do they make some sort of splitter?

Bryon
01-09-2012, 12:42 AM
This one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574

"Internal I/O Connectors- 2 x USB 3.0 + 2 x USB 2.0"

Looks Like two of each.

Bryon

stevemgranger
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks Bryon but the link you sent me was to the motherboard only. If there is a connector to the USB header that will split the header into two then that is what i"m looking for.

stevemgranger
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Bryon but the link you sent me was to the motherboard only. If there is a connector to the USB header that will split the header into two then that is what i"m looking for.

Bryon
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Sorry for the delay, Spent some time on google and MSI tech support to try and figure this out.

Your board has 2 usb 2.0 internal headers. However they are together in one called JUSB1 which is a 10/9 pin connector. The pin to the side of the "Key"(Missing Pin) is NC meaning no connect. That leaves 8 pins, which leaves you with the ability to plug in 2 4 pin usb 2.0 connections side-by-side. Rinse and repeat the same methodology for the usb 3.0 header named JUSB2.

See'ing as the front of your case uses both usb 2.0 connections you are kinda stuck. I was unable to find a usb 3.0 20 pin to a usb 2.0 9 pin adapter anywhere. MSI says they do not sell them and from my research they may not even exsist.

My suggestion is to NOT plug in your cases front usb connections to your mobo. That leaves you with a 9 pin usb 2.0 connector for your internal card reader which comes with a usb port. If you need more than one buy a cheap High-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub Splitter Cable Adapter. They are very cheap. Also because that header is "Super-Charged" It will charge your devices faster.

I hope this made sense and it answered your question.

Edit:

Don't forget you have what looks to be 8 usb 2.0 ports on the back panel of your mobo as well.

Bryon

stevemgranger
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Bryon, Thanks for the good information. You understand what I'm talking about. I have talked to so many people about this that don't understand the problem. A lot of people on the internet have the same problem. What if I make my own splitter cable 9 pin. Would that work? So when you say it's made up of two 4 pin connections does that mean that 1-3-5-7 are the same as 2-4-6-8 and pin 9 is the NC.

Bryon
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't think that is possible. I will look into it some more for you. And yes you are correct, here is a picture so its easier to understand :)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2235/42730793.png

Bryon

zburns
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
stevemgranger:

If you read my post about 'splicing into the USB onboard male connector for USB1 and USB2 -- DO NOT USE MY INSTRUCTIONS AS WRITTEN. I think it can be done but it is more complicated than I indicated in the post. Three of the wires should not be spliced directly to the other three wires. Without going into a lot of detail, what you wanted to do permanently wires the card reader in parallel to whichever USB (# 1 or #2 ) pins you make the connections too. You have to be using EITHER the card reader OR whatever device you plug into the front panel USB female connector; you have to use them separately, not together wired in parallel. Making a splice will cause the card reader plug electronics to be wired in parallel to any device plugged into the front panel -- you cannot let this happen.

If you insist on trying to do it, you would have to 'switch' pins 1, 3 and 5 to the particular device you want to use, so that only one device is connected to pins 1,3, and 5. This would require use of a manual switch or a relay. I EMPHASIZE that you cannot splice directly to the pins as I said you could. You may cause damage if you do it.

Any questions, give me a post back.