PDA

View Full Version : Module power supply?????????

Anthony
08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
For my new pc build I was thinking of getting one of the module type power supplies. They seem to help reduce the unnecessary wiring and cables in your case. Have any of you installed one? Any comments on them?
Here is the one I was looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159058

Jamie Nixx
08-07-2007, 02:32 AM
I have a Hiper type R, 580w in one of my rigs, google it.

When you see it, tell me that is not the most sxc psu you have ever seen :p

Anyway ;) Don't be fooled by this power supply thinking that it is only 580w. I have ran a quad and a 8800GTX with it with no problems.

A power supplies wattage is taken from the minimum power it gives out, and the maximum my power supply gives out at peak load is 630w, so it well surpasses the minimum for any 8800, science lesson over :D

But, Hipers are veeeerrrryyy expensive, over here in the UK, the 580w hiper type R is just under a £100, and the uglier 730w version is even more expensive.

The Wise Monkey is going to have me for this ;) but here are some power supply brands you should be looking out for.

Antec
Hiper
Zalman
OCZ
Akasa
Seasonic
Corsair
Enermax

All of the above or at least most of them will have modular versions.

A word of advice though, don't restrict yourself to only modular power supplies, i have found that you end up using most if not all of the cables if your running a meaty machine.

If you can't find a decent modular psu just go for one that has rounded cables, all the good brands nowadays do anyway.

Hope this helps.

The Wise Monkey
08-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Lol Jamie...

Couple of things to consider - modular PSUs are usually more expensive than normal ones, and you may end up using a majority of the sockets anyway.

Also, I have had several modular PSUs and they have nearly always interfered with the rear case fans. Make sure that you can access all the sockets you will need depending on your case.