PDA

View Full Version : problem with graphics card

thetiny1
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
hi i've recently built a new computer. i tried booting it but nothing appears on the screen. after a little troubleshooting i've identified the problem as the graphics card. when i remove it it boots fine. what should i try to solve the problem. or is it a problem with the graphics card? (dead on arrival?)

ARchamps
12-17-2011, 06:30 PM
What are your system specs? Could be PSU as well. Provide us with some more details. Try the video card on another system.

zburns
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
thetiny1. Your post sounds to me like you are confused. With the video card out of the computer you state that it boots fine. But the video card is your source of video output to the monitor. So if you take out the video card you have no monitor signal -- therefore you cannot see anything boot!

I have been thru the manual on your GigaB motherboard. It is the Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, correct. I see no video out other than thru the video card. So perhaps you have things working right now? Did you plug in a different video card that you happen to have and get video as well as 'full computer operation'. Sorry to sound confused at my end, but, once more your post is confusing or incomplete.

Post back your status as of 8 pm eastern time, if there is still a problem; I will try to help.

zburns
12-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I tried to look more carefully at your video card but could not find detailed specs other than Newegg specs. I was looking to see if you have an auxilary 4 or 6 pin 'molex' type plug on an outside edge of the video card at one of the top corners. If you see such a plug, it is an auxillary plug for an additional + 12 volt cable from your psu. The PCI slot that you plugged the card into 'feed's the card +12 volts but only up to a limited amount of wattage of, I think, 50 watts -- the amount does not matter. The 'extra' plug on one top corner of the card allows you to extend the wattage by some larger amount (I do not know the amount, but another 50 to 100 watts probably -- amount is not important). What matters is that if there is a 4 or 6 pin plug on a top corner, it is for a cable from the psu the end of which has a 'matching' 4 pin or 6 pin mating terminal. If you have this corner plug, match it up with a psu cable end. If you have the corner plug and you did not originally plug a cable end to it, that could be the source of the problem you describe.

thetiny1
12-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks ARchamps and zburns! i figured out the problem! turns out that i connected the video cable to my motherboard, not the video card. a really schoolboy error. sorry for wasting your time :( thanks a lot a lot!

zburns
12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
thetiny1: Would you please describe the shape of the video cable plug that you plugged into the motherboard; also tell us what happened when you turned it on. Video plugs are mostly D shaped or rectangular and some can be round!