PDA

View Full Version : Can I bring my "program files folder" when upgrading from windows xp to windows 7?

Spiffs
12-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey guys

I'm upgrading my Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit tomorrow and I have already found all the information needed for the actual transfer of my old files to this new system, but I can't find any answers for my stated question.

When I used the Windows Easy Transfer program, I noticed that it automatically doesn't have my current program files folder selected for the transfer (I can manually select it, but why isn't it already selected?)

btw- the file directory that I'm talking about is C:\Program Files

I thought that this might be because all my programs need to be reinstalled on the new system anyways, so the old program files folder would be useless on the new computer since it all needs replacing, or is this wrong?

Basically, should I bother transferring over my old C:\Program Files from the old Windows XP to my new Windows 7, or should I leave it out of the transfer? Is it worth transferring or will I just end up deleting it anyways on the new system (if I choose to transfer it as well)?

thaaaaanks :p

RickyTick
12-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Are you wanting to transfer specific programs? Like what? A lot of your program files will load when Windows loads. If you have specific software like say Photoshop, then you'll just have to re-install it on the new system, either from the disc or from a download.

ARchamps
12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
It's always suggested to start fresh when going from an older OS to a new one if possible. Copying your program files folder will not do anything, because you are forgetting about registry entries etc. Honestly, it will give you a lot of headaches lol.

My recommendation is to start fresh and re-install your programs. You'll save yourself from headaches later on :P

Spiffs
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
yea i think i'm not going to transfer the file. it'll also give me a chance to cut down on programs that i wasn't using anyways :P