PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my motherboard?

stuffses
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm building an AMD gaming PC, and I'm wondering if there is any point in getting a better motherboard than the one I am currently ordering. Here is what I have planned:

-AMD phenom II x4 970
-Radeon 6950
-Coolermaster 600w psu

HERE (http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64944) is the motherboard in question. It has all the thing I want (crossfire, OC, USB3, SATA3), so what would be the point in upgrading to something expensive? Would it be any faster?

RickyTick
12-14-2011, 06:42 AM
The mobo doesn't provide "speed" exactly, so a better one is not necessarily "faster". Well it does to a certain degree, but it's not the main factor on whether or not a system is fast.

CPU, GPU, and ram are the main components that make it fast, as well as the hard drive.

The mobo you linked to is fine.

ARchamps
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
The motherboard wont offer speed, but the higher end ones provide more features that you may or may not even need. Higher end models are sometimes better for overclockers, have more SATA3 ports, or have more PCI express slots. The one you linked supports AMD Crossfire, but not NVIDIA SLI (doesn't matter since you have an AMD card). After that, it's all about which brand you prefer and which one offers better warranties etc.

The one you have chosen is perfectly fine.