PDA

View Full Version : yet another: missing drives in BIOS

tjgraf
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Greetings all,

Second boot with BIOS in “integrated peripherals/on chip ATA devices/RAID mode” set on AHCI with no visible hard drives or CD ROM drives in the BIOS “standard CMOS features screen”. I do, however, see the both hard drives and both CD ROM drives in the initial splash screen that appears for a split second prior to entering BIOS that is marked “AHCI drive init . . .” I’ve read the “call me Al” article over and over and don’t fully understand it’s conclusions. The only way I can get the drives to be ‘seen” in the BIOS “RAID mode” is to set “integrated peripherals/on chip ATA devices/RAID mode” on PCI. I intend to set this up eventually as a RAID 1 mirror.

Question: do I just set it on PCI to run WD data lifeguard, then later change back to ACHI to load Windows 7? If I leave it in PCI, I loose performance, correct? I’m afraid to load Windows with settings not correct.

MOBO is an MSI, of which is new to me, as is AMD. Last 6 builds were all Gigabyte, and I’m sorry I didn’t stay with them. I’m using native video on the MOBO, so no separate video board on this build.

MOBO: MSI 880G-E45 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI ATX AMD motherboard. Newegg item # N82E16813130563.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 820 Deneb 2.8 GHz socket AM3 95W quad core HDX820WFK4FGI –OEM. Newegg item # N82E16819103824.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR31333 (PC3 10666) Desktop memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH. Newegg item # N82E16820231402.

HDD’s (two of these): Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX

CD/ROM (two of these): SONY Optiarc AD-7260S.

zburns
12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
tigraf, I quickly looked up the Call Me Al post. Here is the link to it, exact page, post # 54 or # 55 say a lot; but here is the link: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?3767-Drives-not-recognized/page6&highlight=call

This was a very long post. However, the posts that define the problem and the final settings are posts # 51 thru # 60. Post # 59 is the final settings for 'Integrated Peripherals'. Post # 56 is important. Posts # 54 thru #59 or # 60 are 'the meat of problem'. (As I remember, he had to burn a ISO image of the Data Lifeguard Utility and he had to set unused settings in 'Integrated Peripherals' to IDE -- this is my memory now, so just use this sentence as a guide).

I am reasonably certain that posts #51 thru # 60 cover the problem and the solution. However, if you look at post # 79 at the end, Al provides his summary of the problem and solution.

I hope this helps. I can look at the Call Me Al posts tomorrow; figure out what went on, etc. and provide a better explanation than I am doing right now.

zburns
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
tigraf
I realize you are setting up two HDs in a Raid array. However, never having tried what you are doing, I would be more inclined to get the computer working with one drive and then adding in the second drive, alter the BIOS accordingly for the RAID 1 array.

I do remember Wise Monkey doing a number of Posts on 'doing Raid setups'. My Asus manual has a small section on RAID configurations. From my manual on Raid, 'Use two new drives or use an existing drive and a new drive for this setup. The new drive must be of the same size of larger than the existing drive.' So you are ok on the second drive, presumedly.

You have MCI, you prefer Gigabyte (CallmeAl's mobo was also Gigabyte). 'Call Me Al' s post # 79 regards the problem, solution, settings, etc. should be good accurate info. He was sharp, detailed and specific as we worked together.

EDIT: 'he had to burn a ISO image of the Data Lifeguard Utility' -- this from the my post above. I remember the fact that he had to 'burn an ISO image' as opposed to just copying 'the Lifeguard Utility' took him by suprise, as well as myself.

tjgraf
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Z

Thanks for the quick response to my post last week.

I agree, I will wait on setting up drives in RAID for later.

Re-reading the “Call me Al” posts again, which bring back memories of my last build last spring, a Gigabyte motherboard. I did download the Data Lifeguard “iso” image then, and got it to run successfully on my last machine, SN # 6.

This one, SN #7, being an MSI motherboard, only has drives showing in the very first splash screen as the Bios is loading. It is so fast, I have to snap a picture of it with my digital camera to prove that it is showing both WD hard drives and both Optiarc CD ROM drives. Then, after hitting the Del key and going into Bios, I don’t see any of the 4 drives in the MSI Bios “standard CMOS features” screen. This happens when I’m set on AHCI in “integrated peripherals/on chip ATA devices/RAID mode”. This screen appears to be the only place in the entire MSI Bios where I can select PCI or AHCI. There appears to be no place to select between IDE and AHCI like you can in a Gigabyte motherboard. When I set this on PCI, I can see the drives both on the splash screen and the “standard CMOS features” screen.

Re reading “call me Al” post 57, you encourage Al to go ahead and run WD Data Lifeguard iso CD even though he is in what appears to me to be “IDE” mode. I must have my RAID mode in PCI to see my drives, so I’m going to guess it is OK to run Data Lifeguard with RAID mode in PCI. Correct? But Al was adjusting his Sata settings in his Gigabyte motherboard between IDE and AHCI. I am adjusting RAID mode in my MSI motherboard between PCI and AHCI. Is this essentially the same thing?

Many thanks for the help.

tjgraf

tjgraf
12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Z
Apoligize for delays. Will do some experimenting Monday 12/19 and Tuesday 12/20 as I will have both days off work. I'm going to attempt to run the data lifeguard with the above setting both in AHCI first, then if it does not work, in PCI. I'm afraid if I don't get this set up properly, I will be stuck loading Win 7 with an incorrectly set up BIOS, then needing to call and wait to get the whole mess reset with Microsoft. I noticed on your "call me Al" series you and Al called Gigabyte repeatedly. I may need to resort to that, as this MSI BIOS is greek to me.

zburns
12-17-2011, 09:02 PM
tigraf, I have not had time yet to go back and review 'call me Al' posts. I have convinced myself that I can do it fairly quickly because things did work out well, etc.. Some other thoughts came to mind and I just thought I would throw them out!

The purpose of running the Data Lifeguard test is to check out the HD for proper operation. Not sure how you install both of them at the same time and then run the Data Lifexx utility. I tend to try to do things the simplest way that convinces me I did the right thing -- meaning test both HDs with Data Lifeguard but I would run one and achieve success and then uninstall it and then run the other and achieve success, then put them back in place in RAID 1 configuration (assuming you have that figured out by now). By the way, as I remember the Data Lifeguard test, there is a 'Initial test' that puts the HD thru some 'protocol' and then there is the 'Write to Zeros' test, which proves to you that the entire drive is 'completely' clean (of data). The 'Write to Zeros' test takes one to two hours, maybe more if it is a large capacity drive. So I would do them individually, with one of drives physically disconnected. Do one, then the other.

However, it is your build; you have built a lot of computers, so trust your own judgement. My statement above is my opinion - does not mean that is the only way to go!

I did look thru your MCI manual, the on-line manual and I think this is what I saw and it bothered me. I found almost nothing in the way of instructions about 'Raid Configurations'. I have ASUS mobo, and, the back of my manual is loaded with 'Raid pages of How To stuff'. Looked at Gigabyte Z68 manual today and it to is loaded with a lot of Raid configuration data.

Regarding RAID configuration and how to do it, I assume you have to have a lot of written instruction from the manufacturer of the mobo. If it is not there with your 'stuff', I would give them a call.

Good Luck!!

tjgraf
12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Z
I played all afternoon with the BIOS settings to no avail. Then, I noticed I placed the SATA connector from the hard drives into jacks 2 and 3 (on top of each other and seemed natural) and the CD ROM drives on SATA jacks 4 and 5 (also on top of each other), never considering to use jack # 1, which is totally separate on this board. So, I moved one hard drive from SATA input jack 2 to jack 1 and presto, I have visible hard drives in the data lifeguard utility, and the utility springs to life! I did the 5 minute quick test on one of the 2 drives with success, and am testing the other now. More later, but things are looking up!

Thanks for the input, as always.
tj

tjgraf
12-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Doing the full media scan now on one of the 2 drives. After I get done, and get win 7 to load, I'll post my final settings. I think I figured out how to set up RAID 1, and I'll post that also. Must run now due to holiday activities!

zburns
12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
tigraf
Thanks for the update. It would be great for you to post the final settings for Integrated Peripherals as well as the RAID settings. Very little about RAID has been on the forum so a current setup with settings, I think, would be very helpful.

A good 'forum' Christmas present!!

ARchamps
12-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes, that would be quite helpful. I have little experience with RAID setups, so it would be very helpful for new members.

Happy Holidays!

Bryon
12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't mean to hijack a thread but I was trying to get ahold of zburns and it wont let me see anyones profile including myself.. So since he he posted a few hours ago I was just hoping this would catch his attention. Sorry!

call me AL
01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
With regard to Post #4 Yes I did run the Hard drive test utility in the IDE mode. It was the only way I found to recognize the Image disk. Afterwards I changed over to AHCI mode. I figured out the missing drives on my particular Mobo were a function of trying to access features I was not using. Now that I have that straightened out, if I wanted to add a second drive to go to a raid config would I just add it & set up raid or would I clone it and then add it in the raid config. Or is that the subject of a new thread.

AL