PDA

View Full Version : RAM slots on motherboard are blue white blue white... which do I use?

Spiffs
12-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Hey again

so I haven't actually started building my rig yet (waiting to buy new hard drive by this weekend), but I have just noticed that the motherboard has 4 RAM slots with alternating colours --> blue, white, blue, white

This is my motherboard (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_722&item_id=041479)
Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 Socket 1155 Intel P67 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066/800 Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 GigaLAN 7.1-CH HD Audio 2x SATA 6.0Gb/s 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s 14x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0 ATX

And this is my RAM (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=612&item_id=027488)
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM (996776)

So what I'm basically asking is if it matters which colour I plug my RAM into, do I have to plug both pieces into just blue slots or just white slots (I guess that one is obvious) but what's the difference??

gahh I feel like such a noob right now lol

ARchamps
12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Haha don't worry about it. I know the feeling :P

Just make sure that you put the ram in the same coloured slots (i.e. both in blue OR both in white). I'll have to double check, but I don't think it matters which set you put them into. Check your manual for any information in the mean time. The RAM is dual-channel, hence why it should be in the same slot.

zburns
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Spiffs, please check your manual and come back and post which slots are to be used. That provides for a very good double check, and, hopefully no mistakes!

My reason for suggesting the above is the following: Spiffs should have the exact manual that came with his mobo. The mobo and manual have a certain revision number. I have to look up (assume AR does also) Spiffs manual on line which requires several steps. With Spiffs looking it up and telling us what he found, slot wise, is a firm double check on the correct manual being used as well as whether the revision number is relative to the RAM slots 'use' sequence.

RickyTick
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I got this directly from the Gigabyte Users Manual. For using 2 sticks of ram, you put them in dimm slots 1 and 2.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Mike-Echo/gigabyte.jpg

zburns
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
SPOILER -- I was just trying to get Spiffs of look it up and 'say it first'. Several reasons: 1. The online manual we pull up may have a different revision number (although a different rev number would unlikely be about RAM slots). 2. Also, as a new builder, going to the web and trying to look up manuals is not necessarily straight forward and easy. This particular Gigabyte mobo number can differ by only one letter with a similar board, leading to the online user or us thinking we have pulled up the correct number. Also, it is a PDF file which has an unusal look and feel to a normal Google page.

Not a big deal. I was just trying something different. Besides that, I think a new builder should use his manual first and then ask questions to confirm 'what he thinks' the manual is telling him. I remember being a new builder for the first time; a totally new experience -- a strange land -- no idea what the 'landscape' really looked like and easy to make a simple mistake.

RickyTick
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Aww come'on Z, cut spiff some slack. He's been lurking around these forums for several years now. Plus he's Canadian, so he can't help it. :)

Spiffs
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
wow thanks for all the quick responses haha. yea I should have looked up the manual on my own but i posted this thread at 5am so I was tired (don't know why I was up so late :p).

Actually I didn't even think to look at the manual because I thought the question applied to most motherboards, but I guess gigabyte does it's own thing. Anyways, I read my manual from the box and it's the same as the pic that Ricky posted. Alright so it's pretty clear that I have to install the RAM into DDR3_2 and DDR3_1 sockets since I only have 2 sticks.

btw - being Canadian rocks :cool:
and I haven't really been lurking this site since I joined, I built my first computer in 2007 then basically dropped off the grid until 2 weeks ago, that's why I don't know anything about new computer technologies lol

ARchamps
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
btw - being Canadian rocks :cool:

Agreed! :)

Spiffs
12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
it's funny, I still remember back in 2007 that the pros on this site were JamieNixx, TheWiseMonkey, and RickyTick. It's cool to still see you on the site and posting :p

RickyTick
12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Glad to help you spiffs. Come on back anytime you need something, we'll still be here.