PDA

View Full Version : Intel Core i7-3960X and ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

unclepauly28
11-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I wrote the forum some time back about a new computer build. My original configuration was

CASE Coolermaster HAF X
PSU Corsair 1200-Watt Power Supply CMPSU-1200AX
MOTHERBOARD ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0)
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K
CPU COOLER Antec KUHLER H2O 920 Liquid Cooling System
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH
HDD Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x2
VIDEO 1 & 2 MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition
OPTICAL DRIVE 1 & 2 LG Black BD WH12LS30 LightScribe Support x2
OPTICAL DRIVE 3 ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST
SOUND Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
HEADSET Logitech G930
MOUSE Logitech G9x
OPTION OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0960 PCI-E 960GB PCI-Express x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I see now that Intel has released the 2700K but I also see they now have an extreme edition of the Sandy Bridge line, the core i7-3960X. The best rated mobo for this processore is the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. Granted this combination runs about $1500 but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any first hand knowledge about these components.

Also I am reading more and more about the fact that in 3-5 years PC's will have no need of optical drives so instead of going to blu ray drives I should just go cheap with standard DVD. Any thoughts?

Thanks

RickyTick
11-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I've read a few reviews on the i7-3960x, but that's all. It's definitely the top performing cpu, but also the top price.

DVD drives are very inexpensive. I see no reason not to get one.

ARchamps
11-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Unless you are an enthusiast, I don't see the need to get these processors. The increase in performance is smaller than the increase in price vs. the 2600K. You can check out the benchmarks.

If you are really itching to upgrade, I'd wait for IvyBridge as they *should* be made for the 1155 Socket. With a BIOS update, the P67/Z68 motherboards will support it along with PCIe 3.0.

Hope that helps!

unclepauly28
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
The components I listed above haven't all been bought yet. That got sidelined to financially support my daughter and grandkids - AGAIN. I haven't bought the mobo or processor so I will at least go up to the 2700k. Heck, I may still be buying when the Ivy Bridge processors are released.

My other question was whether to go all the way with blu ray drives or stay with standard dvd drives. I don't plan to sit and watch blu ray movies on my PC - I've got a home theater for that - but for blu ray processing, editing, copying, etc., is it feasible to go with blu ray drives considering that the demise of the need for optical drives in PC's is being predicted in 3-5 years.

ARchamps
11-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Well that really depends on the user. The Blu-Ray drives aren't that expensive so I don't see why not. The technology may demise, but people will still use them.

Personally, I never really got into Blu-Ray. I pretty much watch movies via streaming or off my external HDD. I still occasionally burn CDs for my car even though it has iPod connectivity.