PDA

View Full Version : PC build with Solid State Drive

Dom
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Would you consider defining or providing guidance for a PC build using an SSD? I don't know if it's a good idea, but I'm considering a build with a small ssd for the operating system and a second hard drive for data. Thinking of boot speed and overall performance...

RickyTick
11-11-2011, 08:43 PM
This is still a tough decision. SSD prices are still quite high, and HHD's have spiked upward lately due to floods in Thailand.

I fully understand the desire to have a super fast SSD for the OS, and then a large mechanical drive for storage, and other misc stuff. But for me, I would want the SSD to be large enough to handle more than just the basic OS. I would want my office suite on there also. If I used Photoshop, I might want that on there too. I guess it really depends on what you use the computer for.

I did notice however, that NCIX has a OCZ Colossus LT 120GB for $120. That's a great deal on that size drive.

Dom
11-12-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd put the applications on the ssd as well ( word, excel, outlook, ... ). The data would reside on the mechanical drive.
For many installations, with a 256GB SSD, the data could reside on the SSD as well.
P.S. Great price on the 120GB SSD

ARchamps
11-12-2011, 02:19 AM
128GB is usually a good size to get. SSD with OS and Apps and Storage+Media on mechanical drive is a good combo. The Crucial M4 is known as being the most popular drive. The OCZ has a bad rep but new firmware seems to have solved the issues. I am likely to get the M4 around Christmas time.

Good luck!