PDA

View Full Version : I ignored the beeps

showme1946
09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I have an MSI p67a-gd65 motherboard with an Intel 4-core processor and 4 Gb of DDR3 RAM (Crucial), all brand new. I wanted to use a Geforce 8600GT video board that I already had, it has 5 Mb of DDR2 RAM. In my first boot I got the 1 long-2 short that according to everything I can find means there's a problem with the video card.

I tried several things to try and fix this - reseated the card, put the card in a new slot, cleaned all of the connections, etc. etc. Nothing worked, still got the 1 long-2 short.

Since I was getting information on my display that looked normal, I decided to forge ahead and ignore the beeps. I installed the hard drive, installed Windows Vista, installed all of the motherboard drivers. All of that worked perfectly. However, everytime the computer was restarted I got the 1 long-2 short beep pattern.

In the Device Manager I could not access the video card properties; and in the Display Control Panel it just said I had a generic vga capability. Then I went online and downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the Geforce 8600GT. That all went smoothly, and after I was done the Device Manager recognized the video card and I had access to all of its capabilities.

But the boot-up beep pattern remains: 1 long-2 short. As far as I can tell, this is of no consequence whatsoever. I have no idea why that is happening, maybe it has nothing to do with the video card and something else is wrong, but whatever that might be I am not aware of it as far as how the computer is functioning. Everything looks to be as it should be in the Device Manager.

If in subsequent use I find that something isn't working and that it is related to that beep pattern, I'll post an update. For now, though, my recommendation would be, do NOT invest in a new video card just because of the 1 long-2 short beep pattern. Unless you can't get any display on your monitor, forge ahead.

Best to all,
Showme1946