PDA

View Full Version : Build New PC Using Cloned PATA Drive

Ed G
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I have a 10yr old Dell PC that I currently use for business purposes and has some software on it that is critical. I have cloned the PATA drive in it a couple of months ago and I would like to build a new PC around this cloned PATA drive. The operating system on the cloned drive is XP. Looking for some advice on where to start. I have not built a PC from scratch before but have done plenty of hardware upgrades. With the cloned drive being PATA and not SATA I am concerned that I may have some issues with hardware compatibility especially with a new motherboard. Woudl appreciate any help to get me going on this. Thanks!

RickyTick
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
You might find this helpful.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-10149_102-125650.html

Ed G
09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the link. I took a look at it and basically described a way to attach an old PATA drive to the optical cable and have still boot off the SATA primary drive in a new PC. My question if I go this route is would programs on the cloned PATA run when it is installed as a secondary drive?

RickyTick
09-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I really don't know Ed. I've never done that before, and don't want to offer poor advice. Sorry.