PDA

View Full Version : Build new super computer & use xp

oldfogy
09-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I want to build a new computer and use xp for the operating system. If I build the current super computer will xp run ok on it. Money is a problem, but I could always upgrade to windows 7 later. I am running xp on a computer I built with amd athlon xp 2600+ processor that is over 8 years old. I really like xp and have some old programs that I use that will run on it just like they did on win 95 and 98.Thanks

RickyTick
09-04-2011, 09:41 PM
If money is an issue, why not buy Win 7? You're going to have to buy a Windows license anyway. You can't re-use XP from an old machine.

oldfogy
09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes I can use xp from an old machine, I bought 2 xp programs on separate occasions and have moved each of them to different machines, one is at work and one is at home. Both are registered under my name and are legal. Will xp run on a fast machine with a lot of memory or will I need to keep the memory at 3 gigs? Will the fast processor run on 3 gigs of memory?

jimmya
09-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I would like to know the answer also. I built a super computer in 2004. Still works fine. The graphics card seems to be going. I want to build a new one using xp pro. Tried windows 7 pro with virtual xp. Stinks. No resolution control. I now duel boot - always into xp. Lots of software that works for me not for 7.

RickyTick
09-05-2011, 06:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Retail

oldfogy
09-05-2011, 09:20 AM
All the old machines I put the xp on are not in use and will not be used again. I still have them for parts only. I have only built these computers for myself. So if ms comes after me they can have all the other machines.