PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 TB HD Recommendation?

bdeuster
09-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm in the process of selecting components for a new computer and have most everything picked out...I was planning on going with the HD that is recommended on Rob's site only stepping up to the 2TB version:

"Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using this drive and can comment on some of the reviews I've read regarding the noise level. Is this really a loud drive or are people just over reacting? I'm looking to go with one 1 drive in my system and I'm not a gamer or anything like that - just finally getting around to building a new computer as mine is pretty old and I don't expect it to last much longer before hardware failures start to appear.

From what I've read, Caviar Black seems to be a fast performance type drive, Green line is quiet, etc. Blue may also be another option? I basically want a large amount of storage but also a fast drive as it will be my only drive. I can deal w/ hearing the drive work a bit but I don't want it to be annoying or waking me up at night if my computer is running scheduled tasks, etc.

One review of this drive on Amazon said it sounded like a loud coffee pot and he returned the driving thinking it was a faulty unit...next unit was the same and WD told him if he wanted a quiet drive to go w/ blue....

This drive will be w/ the following:
--ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 1800 ATX Motherboard
--Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
--EVGA GeForce GTX460 1 GB Superclocked GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - 2 year warranty 01G-P3-1372-TR
--Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
--Antec Sonata III 500 Quiet Super Mid Tower ATX Case (Black)
--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit

Any thoughts / recommendations would be great - thanks guys!!

RickyTick
09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I have the Caviar Black 640gb drive. I've never heard a single sound from it. It performs like a champ.

Most "pc building websites" have started recommending the Samsung drives as being quieter, cooler, and less expensive. You may take a look at something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
It's $50 after rebate and free shipping. Hard to go wrong with that.

You might be interested in this article.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19330

bdeuster
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks so much for the reply! I must not have been subscribed to my own post as I didn't realize anyone had responded. I was just logging in to do a quick update on the WD Caviar Black drive that I was looking at and purchased (before I saw your post w/ other recommendations). I did purchase the 2 TB drive and it's not too loud. You can hear it clicking and making noise when it's working but it's not too bad. My previous WD drive was very quiet - all i could ever hear was my fan running but this one I can hear. I'd say it's fine if it's in your home office or somewhere outside of your bedroom otherwise it may annoy you at night when the computer is doing system scans, etc. if you are a very light sleeper.

Thanks again for your reply - this forum (especially the people on it) and the build my super pc website are great!