PDA

View Full Version : Another First-time builder, Advice?

Michael7
08-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to get into building PCs for a while now but never did take the plunge. I'm the type to always worry I'll not know enough and end up doing something wrong. So I prefer having the experts help me out and give me some advice.

I have absolutely none of those experts around me in person to help, so I was hoping I could get any help from you all here :D

I've done a bit of research and learned a bit of the lingo and all from various sites. However, as I'm ready to buy the components I was hoping I could see your advice on them! I'm wanting to build a computer that, of course, will last a good while before I should upgrade. I want it powerful enough for slightly-above average type media editing. Capable of HD of course. Gaming (not as hardcore, but still able to handle hardcore gaming if I so choose). I'd love for the ability later on to record video from my PS3 without having to buy an external DVR (will if I must). I'm hoping for at least 2 HDDs, 2 optical drives, and a card reader drive. I know all that depends upon the mobo having enough slots for sata connections and such, but I'm just listing all of what I'd like, to make sure I'm not overlooking, or if you have a better idea.

Since this is my first build and such and I'm trying to stay as within a budget as possible, I'm hoping to get a combo from Newegg that contains the following:

Rosewill GEAR X3 Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,Support up to 15.36" Video Card,come with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 140mm Fan,1x Top 120mm Fan,1x Rear 120mm Fan (Model:GEAR X3) $69.99
This one seems decent to me, but again I'm not entirely sure. Should be enough for more HDDs later down the line, and enough for the optical drives and card reader I am wanting, correct?

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:Maximus IV Gene-Z) $179.99
Good motherboard, right? Or not really? And enough expansion slots for a good graphics card, correct, which I do need!

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply (Model:RG630-S12) $59.99
Has this been reliable? My main concern though is that I also read elsewhere that to be on the safe side for what I'd like to do with it, my power supply should be 650watt or more. And this is only 630

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K (Model:BX80623I52500K) $219.99
Good enough CPU for what I'm needing. In face, I think from what I understand, it's pretty good overall and should have no trouble with media and gaming?

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R (Model:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R) $64.99
I'd actually prefer getting 2 8GB sticks, but for now and for budget's sake (and with this combo newegg takes off about $150), this should work fine?

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST31000524AS) $59.99
And of course a second drive. The drive isn't too important since that's quite easy to upgrade and switch later on. I like WD better, but...

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B (Model:AD-7260S-0B) $19.99
Decent, correct? I'd like to get an additional optical for CD/DVD burning, and/or a BD drive.

Panda Security Internet Security 2012 - System Builder (Model:B12IS12B1) $49.99
This...I've no clue why it's in the bundle but couldn't hurt really. I notice this has no OS. For my OS I'd like to eventually dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but Windows 7 first. I'd have to get that separate since it's not in this combo obviously.

And I'm missing a Network card. I'd like netgear since that's what I've experience with. Any advice on one in particular that should play nice with all these components?

Does it seem like I'm missing something I need, or that any of these components won't be compatible from anyone's experiences?

I'm very sorry for my ignorance on all this, and I truly, truly appreciate any and all help with this. As much as I've researched and read on the subject of building my own computer, it's still difficult for me to understand it all until I get my hands on actually doing it and see it for myself . . . and I'd rather ask the experts so I don't mess things up!

(Oh, and keyboards, mice, and monitor are all afterthoughts. I've a monitor, and several keyboards and mice. And will get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse...which . . . wait does HAVE the BT capabilities?!)

Thank you again so much for any and all help and advice!

RickyTick
08-31-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of Rosewill, but it all looks good to me.
You're missing a video card. You might want something like a Radeon 6950.