PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

TitanAura
08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I recently decided that I'd like to fix my old, nearly broken down laptop rather than buy a new one. Many of the applications are now defunct and tons of my shortcuts are broken (I got much better at housekeeping after I built my current gaming rig). Despite its sorry state, it still boots up and connects to the internet, so I believe it is worth saving.

I backed up my laptop onto an external drive and attempted to run my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit disk on it just to see if the setup would boot at the very least and it did not work once it passed the initial loading process. I've seen several forum posts via google that mention Windows 7 32-bit (Home or Professional not mentioned) being used but having issues with updating the drivers.

So here's my question:
What version of Windows 7 would you recommend and what workarounds are available for updating the drivers after I install it?

RickyTick
08-14-2011, 04:16 PM
You need a minimum of 1gb of ram to run Win 7. Also, if you've loaded that disc on another computer, then it's not going to work on your laptop unless you purchase another license from Microsoft. I guess you could update the ram to 2gb with a ram kit like this (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%209300&Cat=RAM).

Have you thought about installing Ubuntu?

TitanAura
08-14-2011, 08:35 PM
You need a minimum of 1gb of ram to run Win 7. Also, if you've loaded that disc on another computer, then it's not going to work on your laptop unless you purchase another license from Microsoft. I guess you could update the ram to 2gb with a ram kit like this (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%209300&Cat=RAM).

Have you thought about installing Ubuntu?

It does have 2gb of ram and as I said in my post, I was using my 64-bit disk to TEST whether it would install or not.

As for Linux.... hmm.... not sure. Is there already a thread/webpage describing the pros and cons of Linux versus other OS'? I plan to use this laptop for travel (roadtrips/vacations), so long as it can run a browser with internet, Open Office, and VLC player, I might as well give it a shot. So I guess.... requesting link to get me started?

RickyTick
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
This is a good place to start.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

I have Ubuntu on a secondary machine and I just use it for messing around here and there. If you just need something for web surfing, email, and OpenOffice, this is the OS for you.

TitanAura
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Awesome! Sounds good, I'll try it out tonight. It's been ages since I went digging through code. Time to put that Associate's Degree in Computer Science to work! =P

PS
For future visits (as this has become an Ubuntu-related thread), might I ask that this be moved to the Non-Windows OS sub-forum? I'll change the title for the move.

TitanAura
08-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Currently browsing via my newly Ubuntu'd laptop. Everything works great and without manual driver updates!

I'm still getting used to Linux scolding me with an error message every time I double click an executable or whatever but other than that, I'm picking up basic terminal commands rather quickly and aside from the lack of certain features, I think it's fascinating how you can use a single line of code to jump a single loophole and skip an infinite number of steps necessary to run a specific function. Still, I probably would not have picked up on any of this had I not suffered horribly in coding classes for 2 years.

I suppose my only major complaint is the organization of files, though this is probably my Windows-loving, organization OCD-self speaking. I hate not being able to find half the stuff I'm looking for.

RickyTick
08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
What browser are you using? Firefox comes pre-installed, but I changed to Chromium right away. I'm just not a Firefox fan.

I also have LibreOffice as my office suite. I don't use it much, but it seems to be just as good as OpenOffice.

I would also recommend installing Wine. You'll probably need it eventually.