PDA

View Full Version : P67 Boot Loop

mr_spitts
08-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I wanted to try my hand at building a PC and found this site. I purchased nearly everything recommended on the main page, my set up looks like this:

Case: Antec Sonata IV w/ 620w PSU
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
Processor: Intel I5 2500K
HD: WD Black 1TB SATA 6.0
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SE 1 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)

On my first build it booted fine, loaded windows 7, and was working fine for about a day and a half. Went to turn it on one day and nothing. Completely dead. When I would plug in the power the fans would twitch for a split second but absolutely nothing worked. I took the motherboard back to the store where they tested it and said it was defective. Got a new board, hooked it all up, and this one powers on but it will not boot. The LEDs and fans come on for a few seconds then shut down and tries again and again and again but never boots, can't even get to the BIOS.

I took it back to the store and they said basically there is no way I possibly got two defective boards, and bad RAM is known to cause this issue. So bought some new RAM and guess what, same problem. I've started researching this problem and there are tons of people out there with this issue, with root causes anywhere from the keyboard to the CPU. No idea what I should do at this point. Should I just bite a very expensive bullet and get a different board? If so is there one that is reliable that you guys can recommend? Or is there anything else I can try with this one? Not sure why this is the recommended board if it is so buggy. It doesn’t seem like a good place for a newbie to start his experience with system building. Everything I read says it is an extremely picky board. Is there something a little more user friendly out there?

Any help you can give to this very fustrated rookie would be much appreciated! :)

Wally6800
09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Hello Mr_Spitts,
I too have one of the latest and gratest recommended motherboards that is giving me problems. I built a super PC several years ago before the forums. I had a question or two that I needed answers for and I was able to send them directly to Rob. It all worked out well and I got a machine that worked with a problem for over 7 years.

Well now it is time for a new computer and I went to the well again with high hopes.

Seems as though past success has caused the well to go dry. I don't know when forums were introdced but I don't think the front office is taking any call's these days. I got answers to my previous questions in a day or so and they were spon on. My impression of the new forum deal is that lots of people are interested in the listed problems , but no one is providing any answers.

EVery day that you and I wait for someone to offer up a suggestion, is more proof that success is breeding failure.

I sent my questioin to MSI and this forum at the same time. I have already received an answer from MSI as well as a response to a second question .

I would suggest that you look for your answers at MSI and forget about any help here. Things have gone down hill a lot since I built my first computer.

If answers drive the money given in tips, my guess is that the cup is empty.

I for one am a dissapointed subscriber.

Wally

RickyTick
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
You have to understand that a very high percentage of visitors to this site will post a question about building a pc and then disappear. There's not many people that come here a regular basis. mr_pitts posted on the day I left for a 9 day vacation, and when I returned I guess I just overlooked his post. Also keep in mind that I do this for free, and only because I enjoy trying to help new pc builders.