PDA

View Full Version : First time builder

Mark
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Just ordered this yesterday. Any conflicts ? Thanks for any help

AZZA Solano 1000R CSAZ-1000R Full Tower Interior Paint Case (Black/Red

New Intel Corp Extreme DP67BG Desktop Motherboard - Intel - Socket H2 LGA-1155 - 1 X Retail Pack

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155"
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB Kit (2x4 GB Modules) 8 Dual Channel Kit 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX"
1 "EVGA GeForce GTX460 1 GB Superclocked GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - 2 year warranty 01G-P3-1372-TR"

Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 3.5-Inch Desktop Hard Drive"

Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms 650TX v2"

Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B - Bulk (Black)"
Sony LightScribe 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - Bulk AD-7261S-0B (Black)"
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro - Processor cooler - ( Socket 754, Socket 775, Socket 939, Socket 1156, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket 1366, Socket AM3 ) - aluminum - 120 mm"

Windows 7 Home Premum 64 Bit System Builder 1pk [Old Version]

Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding"

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Kit

zburns
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Mark, Welcome to the forums.

You have convinced me! Definitely your favorite color is RED!

Getting serious. I tried to check out the RAM being on a Intel list for 'tested memory' and only got so far. I am only mentioning this because the Intel data sheets, all of them have taken on a new look! I did see one comment that specifically said Intel does provide a list of 'tested memory' and I tried briefly to find that list. I felt like I was going in a circle. My question is simple and that is did you confirm that your chosen memory is in fact compatible with Intel specs for the DP67BG mobo? Did you find a list of 'tested' memory for that board?

I will get back to this later tonight, but thought I would post the question right now!

Mark
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I went to Kingstons website, put in DP67BG in there serch engine for memory, and it gave me (2x4 GB Modules) 8 dual channel kit
1600 (PC 3 12800) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX... THANK YOU for your help.

zburns
08-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I think your choice of memory is fine based on how I interpreted the Intel data I just looked at. I will post it (the intel data) in the morning when I have a clear head and can better explain the data or just give you the links to get to it.

zburns
08-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Using the Kingston Memory Search and arriving at your memory selection was a real treasure hunt, but I finally got there this morning using the Kingston Pages. Looking at the search from the Intel direction, using the Intel Mobo Part #, takes you to a PDF file which is the 'user manual' for the DP67BG mobo. Scrolling slowly thru the manual, one will arrive at a section labeled 'Tested Memory' and one is given the URL to get to 'Tested Memory' for this mobo.

To prevent confusion, the URL, just refered to, follows at the end of the next several sentences. When you click on the URL, you will get an Intel page titled: 'DESKTOP BOARDS' and a full list of Intel mobos that does include the DP67BG; now, you must click on DP67BG to get to 'Tested Memory' for this specific mobo. Here is that URL for 'Tested Memory' in the DP67BG Intel manual, click on it and get Desktop Boards, then in the list hunt down and click on mobo # DP67BG: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025414.htm

The following is what you get: Main page headline is still DESKTOP BOARDS, under that is 'Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG, System memory for DP67BG' -- the whole page is 100% about the 'memory specs or makeup' for this mobo DP67BG.

System Memory Features; it is important that a user read these several short paras and understand what Intel is saying about this RAM, most imporant is 1.35 volts, operating voltage and the usual warning not to exceed 1.65 volts or you may damage the cpu. The only other para is 'Supported Memory Features' -- this is a table of generic rules that outline a limited number of choices to make up these RAM modules. As long as the choice or RAM fits this table, the RAM will work.

However, whether the RAM one picks may or may not be the 'latest and greatest' available from the different manufacturers; therefore, one must go the RAM suppliers website and choose the level of quality and speed, coupled with price, and make a decision.

It is smart to work from two directions -- the RAM manufacturer tells you what is the 'latest and greatest' product. From Intels direction, one is told the 'generic specs the RAM must meet'. Most important, Intel also tells the user 'the required operating voltages and provides the warning that the cpu can be damaged by exceeding 1.65 volts'. This is not an idle warning.

When choosing memory, the builder must be sure the memory works for the specific mobo both from the viewpoint of the memory supplier and from the mobo supplier. Each entity both have valuable information for the builder.

----------------

Readers Note: For some months I have recommended to forum members that they have to check the mobo supplier's list of 'approved memory'. In some cases, those so called lists are outdated, etc, and only confusion results. The value of the Intel page above is that for that Intel mobo, the table of intel approved RAM possibilities actually tells the reader precisely how the RAM stick is configured to meet the requirements of the cpu, and the other 'integrated circuits' that surround and are in effect part of the 'whole cpu system', ie. cpu plus all related circuitry.

zburns
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
All other components except the cooler look perfectly fine. You will have an excellent high performing system. I strongly recommend you do not use the cooler for the reasons below. If you do use just be aware of the potential problem as stated below.

As an alternative to a large, relatively heavy cooler, you might want to consider liquid cooling. Ricky Tick routinely recommends, I believe, a Corsair 'closed loop' liquid cooler system. I will have to check his most recent posts to see the part #.

The danger the large , tall coolers have is the 'torque' placed on the cpu and mobo if the cabinet is ever picked up and dropped. It would be foolish to ever transport the cabinet with the cooler installed, much less ship it by common carrier.

Even around the house, just picking it up and moving it, one runs the risk of accidentially dropping or just setting it down hard. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Mark
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
zburns, thank you for all the help. the cooler is goning back...I never thought about that...and not to exceed 1.65 v.with ram, looking into that now..
again, thank you for all the help.

zburns
08-06-2011, 11:27 AM
The 1.65 volts on the RAM is nothing new. That is the limit that Intel says is safe for the 32 nanometer architecture of the cpu and any other chip built on 32 nanometer spacing. The way you get into trouble is if in a 'overclocking zeal', you follow someone else's advice and run the voltage higher than 1.65 in order to achieve someone's idea of 'superior overclocking'.

Plenty of computer posts have been written to the effect that 'there is nothing wrong with running that voltage higher than 1.65 volts'. The people or organization that write such stuff, do not know, or take into account, that that excess voltage causes deterioration over time of the 'insulation' between components within the 32 nanometer construction. At some point, 'when new' interior insulation between 32 nanometer components wears down due to the stress caused by the increase in voltage, the component breaks down, meaning the cpu starts acting strange or fails altogether.

While I use the word 'interior insulation', what really is happening is the following: within the 32 nanometer cpu, between transistors, a certain amount of leakage current is allowed. When you up the voltage, the leakage current also goes up. At some point, the higher leakage current causes permanent deterioration within the cpu leading to 'irregular operation' (if you are lucky) to outright total failure. These statements apply to any electronic chip build on a 32 nanometer structure. The older 42 or 45 (whichever) nanometer construction was not so sensitive but it too has a voltage limit.

When you shrink the chips smaller and smaller and put millions more transistors within the same space, the long term price you pay is much more sensitivity to breakdown because of the smaller clearances. This does not mean that companies like Intel cannot build good product by doing this. What it does mean is that the users of the product must be very careful to observe the 'operating specifications' put out by Intel and other manufacturers.

(The RAM physically connects to the cpu or a memory controller and the higher voltage is introduced into the 32 nanometer structure because of the interconnection of components)

(EDIT, Sunday 10:15 am: Addition to RAM statement just above. The components in the RAM stick do not have to be built on 32 nanometer architecture. The problem to the cpu arises when the voltage [voltage assumed to be greater than 1.65 volts] applied to the RAM stick is 'introduced into the cpu and other 32 nanometer chip circuitry'. The circuitry and chips on the RAM stick are directly wired into the cpu, memory controller and other circuitry that make up the total 'central processing unit' of the computer. Whatever voltage is applied to the RAM stick, also winds up inside the cpu and any other associated --wired in--chips.)

Mark
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I think i should be fine then, because I dont plan to OVERCLOCK anything. I dont play video games. Just some video edting.
(High School Football Films) I think I will start the build around August 17.should have everything by then.
I will post back here when i get started. may need help...I go slow and read, read, and read..thank you for all the help...